Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Court and contact

(10 Posts)
OhMy2017 Wed 21-Mar-18 15:29:10

Do courts work with what the parent is asking for or could a parent get more than what they are asking for?

Morningdash Wed 21-Mar-18 15:36:20

Sorry, not sure what you mean? Courts won't force a NRP to have more contact that what they are asking for or can't make a NRP have contact if they refuse it.

YetAnotherUser Wed 21-Mar-18 15:38:12

Difficult to say without knowing more about the situation.

On the face of it though it's probably not too likely that the court would order more contact than the litigant has requested.

OhMy2017 Wed 21-Mar-18 15:41:29

My solicitor says he could get what they thin is right for dc. Dc is 5 and goes every other weekend.

He is a narcissist.

The issue is over holiday time.

He wants to jump to one week at easter Christmas and two at summer. I have said build up

donners312 Wed 21-Mar-18 16:34:18

IME the court won't care how much of a twat or narcissist he is and may well just allocate the time he wants.

My Ex wanted the DC every other month (typically sees them twice a year in practice.

Court said it should be at least once a month so ordered more than he wanted if thats helps.

That said neither of us follow the court order i haven't done anything that i was ordered to do so .....

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 21-Mar-18 16:38:13

I can't see the court saying no to a week/fortnight if they already go EOW.

He isn't asking for anything out of the ordinary.

OhMy2017 Wed 21-Mar-18 17:07:35

Will he get more than what he’s asking for?

ImperfectAlf Wed 21-Mar-18 17:43:25

He may. It's not about his right or need for contact but about your child's right to a relationship with both his parents(provided it's safe). The court will consider what your child needs and order accordingly. However, it won't be able to force a non resident parent to spend time with their child.

OhMy2017 Wed 21-Mar-18 20:12:57

If they can’t force, why then can more than that requested be ordered

ImperfectAlf Thu 22-Mar-18 07:35:33

In theory, because the court will only order what is best for the child. If the order is not complied with, then you can come back to Court for enforcement of the order. There are consequences for not complying, up to imprisonment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: