Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Husband is a Chronic Mansplainer

(27 Posts)
TallulaFulla Tue 12-Dec-17 18:08:15

I am married to a wonderful man, but he is the absolute worst for mansplaining. Every day this happens. He just tried it again when I mentioned that it was cold in the living room. He then began to explain that because I have clothing on the radiators blah blah blah circulation blah blah blah.

I said to him that I already knew this, and he kept bloody going. Help!!!

SkaPunkPrincess Tue 12-Dec-17 18:10:35

So if you already know the reason why did you make such an inane comment?
Sounds more like a you problem than a mansplainer problem tbh.

Whisky2014 Tue 12-Dec-17 18:13:20

Wtf ska?
Fucking ridiculous comment.

Ok, can't you just say "stop explaining everything I say. I'm not looking for reasoning I'm just making chit chat."

ScreamingValenta Tue 12-Dec-17 18:13:58

Ha ha! My DH started mansplaining book dedications to me the other day - "You know," he said, helpfully, "some books have a dedication in the front, such as 'to my parents'"?

I have an English degree and two rooms full of books - I've encountered a book dedication before - I've even been mentioned in one! fangry.

MikeUniformMike Tue 12-Dec-17 18:16:29

I find that men don't really listen to what I say. If I said, I've repaired something, they would look at something, examine it carefully and say it wasn't broken.

gamerchick Tue 12-Dec-17 18:20:44

Wind him up, repeat what he's saying back to him each time he does it.

TheNaze73 Tue 12-Dec-17 18:48:04

Your comment was the issue here surely. Were you filling an awkward silence by saying something lacking any purpose which was so inane

Velvetbee Tue 12-Dec-17 18:55:19

Surely people say inane things all the time. I might walk into a room and say 'Ooo, it's chilly in here!' I don't need a fucking exposition on the temperature, just agree or not. I'm making a human connection not analysing the environment.

TrojansAreSmegheads Tue 12-Dec-17 18:56:41

ask him

did you genuinely think that i did not know that?

userxx Tue 12-Dec-17 18:57:36

I've got a friend who does this constantly. Bores the shit out of me.

WickedLazy Tue 12-Dec-17 18:59:53

When my ds came in here earlier, he said it was cold, I said brrr you're right, shut the blinds, and put the heating on. I didn't announce I ws doing this, or spend 20 minutes explaining why the blinds being shut keeps heat in, and how radiators work. He already knows these things, and it would have been dickish to go on a rant, rexplaining it, in response to a two word statement. Would I say ds made an inane comment? No, surely he made a general observation, which is a common part of chit chit.

Is your husband at least usually right when he mansplains? I find that easier to deal with, than listening to a load of shit you know to be wrong. Does he talk over you generally?

namechange2222 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:11:37

I find that 'Thanks for sharing that' with a grin often works

TammySwansonTwo Tue 12-Dec-17 19:16:52

Glad to see there's at least one guy here to tell you that the mansplaining is your fault for being dull.

Acknowledging the temperature of a room is not inane, it's a pretty common thing to do. Doesn't require a lecture on the mechanics of central heating either. If my DH or I said "it's cold in here", the other would respond with acknowledgement that it is, in fact, cold. Complex thing, this conversation lark.

TrojansAreSmegheads Tue 12-Dec-17 19:22:21

most things people chat about are boring and inane.
that's pretty much the definition of chat 😁

if people only spoke when they had Matters Of Great Importance to discuss, the world would be very quiet. 😁

letsdolunch321 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:23:33

My ex h was like this, in the end we sat in different rooms so I didn’t have to look/talk to him

RunRabbitRunRabbit Tue 12-Dec-17 19:29:47

Would he notice if you walked off? My DH thinks out loud on stuff like this. It used to drive me nuts until I realised he wasn't explaining to me, he was explaining to himself but out loud. My attention was not required.

Sometimes I acknowledge by saying "You are saying all that out loud you know" if the monologue has gone on for too long.

StickyProblem Tue 12-Dec-17 19:45:31

We say “I’ll alert the media” smile

dudsville Tue 12-Dec-17 19:51:29

Mine does this. I usually respond with "durr, I know, I was just commenting". It's as if every time I make a comment he thinks I'm asking him to explain how the world works. He always projects his theories as well. He'll ask how the journey is for me to work and then tell me why he thinks it will be worse or better. I think his mind is desperate to organise things, perhaps due to an anxiety!

ScreamingValenta Tue 12-Dec-17 19:53:37

'I'm cold' from me or DH is shorthand for 'Are you cold too? Shall we turn the heating up, or is it just me?'

cremedelashite Tue 12-Dec-17 19:56:04

We say "no shit Sherlock". Works.

TDHManchester Tue 12-Dec-17 21:28:04

The "no shit sherlock" or "thanks for sharing" i think is best.

Guys,,well sometimes we just cant help it. We dont know we are doing it, we are only trying to help,being the hunter gatherer n all that,albeit with a withered club. We mean no harm.

Believeitornot Tue 12-Dec-17 21:29:46

My dh does this as does his dad.

Drives me fucking mad.
The worst bit is he adopts a tone as if he’s giving a lecture.

I usually cut him off now mid sentence.

BeckyDawn Tue 12-Dec-17 22:30:28

Is that what Mansplaining is?! Oh god, I've got myself one of these creatures shock

He once once explained to me that a pool cue hitting a laminate floor makes a loud noise cos it's a hard floor and the pool cue is hard, therefore making a loud noise, when I jumped when someone dropped a pool cue in a pub.

I thought he just thought I was a bit thick grin

It drives me insane. I keep telling him I'm aware of This/That/The other but he insists on finishing telling me. Usually it's wrong and he says Brexick instead of Brexit. I want to hurt him when he does this!!

Tearsoffrustration Wed 13-Dec-17 07:18:49

My dad calls it Britex confused

annandale Wed 13-Dec-17 07:24:44

Brexick?? Oh God I would hate that. I suppose on the positive side we would just have to stop talking about it. We've saved a fair bit of money because I can't stand hearing my Dh ordering an expresso.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now