Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Christmas present

(9 Posts)
Arghwhattobuy Sun 10-Dec-17 18:11:29

I’ve been seeing someone for two months and it is just starting to get more serious. I won’t be seeing him over Christmas other than for brief visits due to existing commitments.

Do I buy a Christmas present and if so what? This hasn’t been discussed and I’ll feel stupid giving him a gift if he hasn’t bought me one but even more stupid if he has and I haven’t. I don’t know how much to spend and if to buy something silly or something nice like aftershave.

Aminuts23 Sun 10-Dec-17 18:36:25

I was in that situation last year. I just told him not to buy gifts and that we’d treat each other to a night out. I think it took the pressure off both of us tbh

Shoxfordian Sun 10-Dec-17 19:16:20

Buy a nice bottle of whatever he drinks and then if he gives you a present you can give him that.

RainyApril Sun 10-Dec-17 19:24:36

I never understand how people can kiss each other and (presumably) sleep together, but can't ask what seems to be a fairly straightforward question.

Arghwhattobuy Mon 11-Dec-17 08:10:20

I just feel as if it’s a bit presumptuous of me to ask about a budget for Christmas. He is fairly well off in comparison with me so it feels awkward asking about gifts as we’re still settling into something that is mor than just ‘dating’. If anything I think he would be more generous than me.

Bluntness100 Mon 11-Dec-17 08:18:13

just take control and stop fretting. Say “so xmas, to avoid any awkwardness let’s not do presents and have a night out instead” . He will prob be pleased as he will also be unsure.

Bluntness100 Mon 11-Dec-17 08:19:44

Actually scrub that, it’s too late, he may have got something,

Say, what are we doing about Xmas, are we doing presents or not? We could do or we could do a night out instead, I’m happy with either, what do you think?

ButteredScone Mon 11-Dec-17 08:26:56

Try this:

"For a Christmas pressie, I thought I'd like to take you out somewhere and do something treaty. Is there anything you'd like to see?"

Then he can answer in the appropriate bracket e.g. 'Paddington 2' or 'Paris'.

Babyblues052 Mon 11-Dec-17 08:49:58

If it were me if literally just say "so are we doing Christmas?" If he says yes say "I agree let's get something small". Then get him maybe a bottle of his chosen drink?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now