Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Have the talk?

(6 Posts)
user1494591126 Wed 06-Dec-17 03:22:18

DH and I have a couple of nights away soon without tennage dc. Should I initiate 'the talk' about the huge cracks in our relationship or just try to have a nice time and re-connect?

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 06-Dec-17 03:34:14

Depends what the cracks are. Lack of closeness and intimacy; I might try to have a good weekend. Serious issues, I might talk.

mindutopia Wed 06-Dec-17 09:17:05

I would use it as a chance to re-connect and enjoy each other. Surely, with a teenager, you have plenty of free time at home to talk and don't need a weekend away to do it. We have a 4 year old who is pretty much with us constantly unless she is at school and we still have time to talk in the evenings. So I wouldn't waste a rare weekend away on serious conversations. Enjoy yourselves and see what happens. If it doesn't work, then you'll know when you come home it's time to have the talk.

PastoralCare Wed 06-Dec-17 09:24:48

Very bad idea as I expect he'll say: "we never have any time together and this is the moment you chose to talk about problems".

Enjoy your time.

A walk or two later you can tell him that you need to make time to address issues you have.

Joysmum Wed 06-Dec-17 09:38:29

Depends how you word it. I think it makes sense to have a good time and try to reconnect and then comment that the time together has made you realise how things have slipped between you and you’d like for you both to think of ways and put the effort into trying to rekindle that for every day, not just special occasions.

TheNaze73 Wed 06-Dec-17 11:35:02

I think you have the convo before you go. You need to confront the elephant in the room but, doing it whilst away would be leaving yourself open for the obvious answer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now