Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anger

(4 Posts)
orangescreen Tue 05-Dec-17 09:38:45

How angry can you get? Is it ever justified to use violence in a verbal argument. I.e hit and throw stuff.

Shoxfordian Tue 05-Dec-17 09:43:17

No it's never ok to be violent

idpreferanegroni Tue 05-Dec-17 11:18:03

No to hitting. Never.

I get angry and have had to work on it over the years. I think these days my anger is covering up another feeling such as vulnerability, ie my anger is my go to expression when I'm really feeling xyz So perhaps at other times think about what other emotions such as rejection/ dissapointment etc you're feeling so it isn't always anger.

Maybe call a timeout until anger has died down. Anger does abate. Feel it, it passes, don't let anger own you.

ferando81 Tue 05-Dec-17 11:23:12

Only once in my life did I ever get angry enough to want to hit someone.He was saying this other person really wasn't that bad (years later I heard him slagging off the same man)and I thought he was.
We had both had drinks and the temptation to smack him in the face was nearly overwhelming;he was saying something I didn't want to hear and I wanted him to shut up.
The strength of the anger was a terrible shock to me .I also wonder if I would have got so angry if the man I was having the argument with was bigger than me.
Is anger about power?As a young man at the time I knew I could easily tackle this older man.
The surge of adrenaline almost demands a realease and I think violent people really need help to learn to control this.Of course plenty don't want to control it and don't seek help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now