Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Please help me get a grip!

(3 Posts)
CharlotteCollinsneeLucas Mon 04-Dec-17 21:44:40

To start with context: I am over 40 and have only had one successful relationship in my life. And that was about twenty years ago! So I really feel out of my depth here.

There's this man at work. We seem to get on well, although things are always so busy that we talk in brief snatches, and often in groups. When I'm with him I can usually be quite rational, although there are times when my insides jump at the sight of him. Then as soon as I'm by myself, my mind goes into overdrive, replaying the tiniest encounters over and over to extract meaning from them! These two reactions to him: one when I'm with him and one when I'm not don't seem to match. Is it just hormones latching on to the only single man in the vicinity? I am trying to talk myself out of the possibility of having any real feelings for him and I'm not sure why I'm doing that. I've joined a dating site to distract me - what's that about?

Oh, and he's asked me to a social with a group from work. Which I am really looking forward to. I think. I'm also really nervous about it!

I don't remember ever getting so knotted up about someone before!

SparklingSnowfall Mon 04-Dec-17 21:46:16

Well that sounds exciting OP! If he's single just go with it and see what happens! grin

CharlotteCollinsneeLucas Mon 04-Dec-17 22:14:58

Hmm... Is it really that easy, though?!

Ok, I sound daft. I'm a bit worried that he's going to show an interest and suddenly I'll think wtf I'm not interested at all...

And then I hope that he just sees me as a friend. We probably don't even have that much in common! I think deep down, though, I just don't believe that a good relationship could happen to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now