Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is it possible for someone to have an emotional affair with an entire family?

(125 Posts)
HowRyou Fri 01-Dec-17 23:31:05

Will add details later. Just wondering if it is possible.

farfallarocks Fri 01-Dec-17 23:33:24

Yes

Eilasor Fri 01-Dec-17 23:36:30

A B S O L U T E L Y

HowRyou Fri 01-Dec-17 23:39:32

I'm worried now as she has bonded and love's this family. She is not here at the moment and is with them. She's not been home for 2 days. She is staying at there house because she suddenly became depressed out of the blue.

HowRyou Fri 01-Dec-17 23:40:52

She calls them sister, brother and mum!

BankWadger Fri 01-Dec-17 23:40:55

Is She a cat?

AnyFucker Fri 01-Dec-17 23:42:30

What is this about ? hmm

PippaPiper Fri 01-Dec-17 23:45:07

Is She a cat grin

NoSquirrels Fri 01-Dec-17 23:45:44

Slightly confused by first 2 posters who seem to understand this on a level I’m struggling with on brevity of OP.

Thank fuck for AF.

LemonadeWithACherry Fri 01-Dec-17 23:56:01

Roger did something like this on American Dad. ** [nods sagely]

WillowWeeping Fri 01-Dec-17 23:59:23

If you want sensible answers you’re going to have to stop vague-netting

MontyPythonsFlyingFuck Sat 02-Dec-17 00:00:49

Yes. Read Brideshead Revisited.

Intercom Sat 02-Dec-17 00:08:42

No.

Ellie56 Sat 02-Dec-17 00:12:12

hmm

minipie Sat 02-Dec-17 00:15:19

Crush rather than emotional affair, since this is not about your partner (I think?)

Seem to recall an episode of SATC about this, she's dating the guy but falls for his whole family. And yy to Brideshead. Never seen it in RL.

goldinthemtherestars Sat 02-Dec-17 00:16:24

Yes. I married into such a family not realising the foolishness of my needy enchantment. I separated 2 years later, older and much wiser. I went on to create my own delightful family, full of weirdness, faults and wonders.

Itsonkyme Sat 02-Dec-17 00:22:30

Emotional affair with a family?
Quite a strange thing to ask.
If it's your daughter (you did say she) who is staying with another family and seems to like them
This is possible!
I adored my first boyfriends family and spent every available minute I could with them. They were lovely with me and I preferred them to my own family.
Although I did not refer to them as Mum, Dad, they told me I was like the daughter they never had.
So if that's what you mean, Yes! It's possible.

bayseyan Sat 02-Dec-17 00:26:11

Honestly? My suspicion is that she is planning to leave you and this family is providing her support as she prepares to do that.

HowRyou Sat 02-Dec-17 00:30:14

User=Itsonkyme

She's my wife.

HermionesRightHook Sat 02-Dec-17 00:35:38

I think sometimes, yes. Without context, it's certainly possible to become entranced by a whole other way of living, symbolised by a different Thing to your own way, e.g. they have more/less money, different religion, etc. Doesn't necessarily mean anything other than being interested and captivated, of course. Might do, but doesn't have to.

Also, Brideshead Revisited is a fricking brilliant book and the BBC adaptation ages ago (80s?) is wonderful.

Itsonkyme Sat 02-Dec-17 00:37:46

Oh well then! If she's your wife, then I'm not sure. It happened to me but I was only 15 and didn't get on at home.
Tbh I'm not sure what could be going on here.
She's suddenly become depressed and now loves this family hmm
I'm stuck! You'll have to tell us more.
Do you know this family as well?

HowRyou Sat 02-Dec-17 00:38:24

I can't post everything because i am worried about posting.My wife seems obsessed with this family. We also a a young daughter. She had a bad childhood and seems to like the idea of having the mum, daughter, brother she never had in this new family. I think she wants to be with us and feels guilty but she enjoys being surrounded by them. She has a strong bond and loves them so much. She's hardly mentioned how our daughter is since shes gone.

HermionesRightHook Sat 02-Dec-17 00:40:24

I don't think anyone can offer specific advice without more details, but you don't have to share if you aren't comfortable. It's possible. It sounds like it's upsetting you, though, can you share a bit more about how you feel?

HowRyou Sat 02-Dec-17 00:42:32

She constantly talks about them to me everyday and facebook all day long.

HowRyou Sat 02-Dec-17 00:48:35

What should i do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now