Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Not buying him a 60th gift

(6 Posts)
CurlyRover Fri 01-Dec-17 22:33:52

As I said on my PP, my parents and I have essentially been NC for a few months. (Long back story there)

It's my father's 60th in January. I'm going to be completely disowned if I don't get him anything aren't I? I know they'll be expecting something but tbh the fact I haven't heard from them in several months doesn't particularly make me want to spend a lot of money on them. I know it sounds selfish but DP and I are buying a house after Christmas so I'd rather save my cash for that and for people who actually care. Am I going to be disowned forever?

gamerchick Fri 01-Dec-17 22:35:25

Would it be a bad thing if you were? Sounds like a blessing to me.

CurlyRover Fri 01-Dec-17 22:47:25

I think gamer it's a really difficult thing for me to get my head around. After years and years of difficulties it just seems so final.

BillywilliamV Fri 01-Dec-17 22:53:16

Do you want to see them again or do you just think that you ought to want to see them again?

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 01-Dec-17 22:54:35

Have you had a birthday in the time since you last spoke to them? If so, what did they do for that?

CurlyRover Fri 01-Dec-17 23:00:56

Not had a birthday in between brilliant and I honestly can't remember what they did for my last birthday.

Billy that's an interesting question. Partially I think I should want to see them but partially I want to see them as the parents I think I needed them to be - which yeah I know isn't happening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now