Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Help please - Christmas present for new guy!!

(38 Posts)
Mamakiks Wed 29-Nov-17 15:06:22

I desperately need ideas. I'm a really awful present buyer, never know what to get anyone except my own dc. My family tell me what they want so I can't get it wrong!
Been seeing a new guy for 2 months, I know he's getting me a Christmas present as he hinted at it. I want to get him something small but absolutely no idea what as I feel I don't know him well enough yet and anyway like I said I'm hopeless at this!
Our relationship is lots of fun, very physical, lots of laughter and teasing, we also run together. His hobbies as far as I know are running and sci-fi, he's also a foodie and coffee snob and seems to have a very particular taste in music.
I'd be so grateful for ideas for creative and not over the top presents!

PorpoisefullyObtuse Wed 29-Nov-17 15:19:55

Running gloves.
A Star Wars or similar insulated coffee mug - this kind of thing?
www.findmeagift.co.uk/gifts/r2-d2-travel-mug.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4dP3x4rk1wIVrLztCh326gc2EAQYAiABEgLux_D_BwE

Shoxfordian Wed 29-Nov-17 15:21:02

Notonthehighstreet does nice food and subscription type stuff

Mamakiks Wed 29-Nov-17 15:25:43

He has running gloves, I'm a bit hesitant to get him anything coffee related because it's actually his line of work.
I'll look on notonthehighstreet, thank you!
Trouble is he's also massively into shopping so seems to have bought himself everything he might need or like!

user1497991628 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:28:00

I have a very similar dilemma, and am going totally unoriginal with a bottle of port, which I know he likes. It’s a fancy brand, but not very
expensive.

Mamakiks Wed 29-Nov-17 15:30:18

Hmm, that sounds a safe bet user, although I know he is cutting down on drinking at the moment.

ShowMeTheElf Wed 29-Nov-17 15:31:44

runners gifts for under 30quid

islurpmyspaghetti Wed 29-Nov-17 15:34:46

What about getting him some tickets for something that you could do together in January / February? It means that you'll have something to look forward to as a couple as well. Is it crazy to think about buying race entry (plus overnight stay) somewhere nice? The Brighton half marathon is in February, for example.

AnonEvent Wed 29-Nov-17 15:43:07

How about this as a side-present: www.coffeehit.co.uk/33-cups-of-coffee.html

It's a little journal for him to rate coffees he's had.

Mintychoc1 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:43:28

you can get personalised OS maps - his name and photo on the front, something like that - or a jokey comment, anything you like really. Good for runners to check out running routes. they're on the OS website.

user1497991628 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:48:17

Yes, I didn’t want to try too hard, or get it hopelessly wrong, he’s quite fussy about food and coffee, and his hobby, and also buys stuff himself...

( he definitely doesn’t run though, so we’re not dating the same guy 😀)

If you do want to consider the foodie route, Yumbles has some kind of different stuff on it.. I’m too scared to try it for mine, but was good for relatives last year.

Mamakiks Wed 29-Nov-17 15:59:06

Thanks for all the ideas!
Showmetheelf - I like the look of the two books in that list.
User it's tricky isn't it, I also don't want to try too hard or get it totally wrong! I want to make it look effortless and uber cool, just like he (wrongly) believes I am grin

RandomUsernameHere Wed 29-Nov-17 15:59:11

Some nice toiletries, if that's not too boring?
Tickets to something you can do together is a good idea.

Mamakiks Wed 29-Nov-17 16:05:53

Yes I really like the tickets to something idea. Yumbles also looks interesting.

GlitterRollerSkate Wed 29-Nov-17 16:13:59

How about making him a food hamper? We have an amazing farm shop near us that sells all kinds of pickles, jams, posh chocs and things like that. I always do them for people that have everything everyone me likes eating nice things!

Mamakiks Wed 29-Nov-17 16:19:05

He does really really like eating! Someone suggested a stocking with a few different things in, so maybe I can get a couple of foodie things, a couple of hobby related things and tickets for something...maybe!
What makes this even worse is that he is incredibly thoughtful and attentive and has already surprised me by giving or making me things that he's heard me talk about!

Thingsdogetbetter Wed 29-Nov-17 20:09:13

If he's into sci-fi then the boxset of Firefly would be best present ever. Speaking as a total sci-fi nerd. Lol

Greedynan Wed 29-Nov-17 20:13:21

Does he drink? Perhaps s really nice bottle of something, whiskey perhaps?

butterfly990 Wed 29-Nov-17 20:22:34

www.notonthehighstreet.com/theamazingchocolateworkshop/product/chocolate-rusty-spanner-and-nut-and-bolt-gift-box?istCompanyId=aa76f5e6-d733-4e56-8409-574cea196cc9&istItemId=xmxqqqawrw&istBid=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbSLkM7k1wIVorztCh0SnQJMEAQYBCABEgKOfvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CO2785XO5NcCFc6o7QodoLYDcg

butterfly990 Thu 30-Nov-17 07:17:43

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ale-r-ev1-rumbles-short-sleeve-jersey-3299-70-off-was-110-evans-cycles-2844745

CommanderDaisy Thu 30-Nov-17 07:54:15

Make up a small hamper with 4-5 obscure, different but tasty food items. If he cooks - spices, meat rubs, dukkah and really good olive oil.
If just eats - couple of really good cheeses, some lavache/flatbread, dried grapes or cranberries, tiny bottle of desert wine. If likes chocolate...same thing.

Find a good deli l out of his normal area and ask questions of the staff. Put all the items in paper box, with shreaded paper or something.

Mamakiks Thu 30-Nov-17 12:24:03

Hmm, still not at all sure what to get...saw him last night and he's just so quirky and funny, I want to get something really creative but also personal!

mrbob Thu 30-Nov-17 20:30:47

A cool keep cup for his coffee?

LesisMiserable Thu 30-Nov-17 21:36:20

Two months in I got dh some really woolly hugo boss socks to keep his feet warm and a little metal owl because he's pretty wise and a teacher. Total cost about £20.

nobutreally Thu 30-Nov-17 21:42:37

Have you had a play on etsy? I'm always inspired on there! Type in a few of his sci-fi favs and you could get a cool mug and/or T if that's his sort of thing? Has he mentioned any particular shows/films?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now