Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How did you and your dp/dh/dw meet?

(46 Posts)
Babyblues052 Tue 21-Nov-17 20:08:31

Feeling quite negative on here and reading someone's post on how they met their dp (affair) made me think of how me and my lovely dp met and how exciting things were back then. (The getting to know each other ECT.)

I'd know my dp for years before we got together. No interest in anything like that for years then we got closer and suddenly everything was very intense suddenly fancied the hell out of him. We dated we fell in love moved to the city got new jobs and had a baby. And I still get butterflies! (Not as often but still there!)

So how did you meet yours? (Any exciting whirlwind romance stories welcome! Haha)

mumonashoestring Tue 21-Nov-17 20:13:41

Not really an exciting whirlwind, but DH and I met on a (non-dating, shared interest) website before going to a gig together. We were living about 2 hours from each other at the time but spent every weekend of the next year together before moving in together, and have been together for 13 years now.

IckleWicklePumperNickle Tue 21-Nov-17 20:15:23

We met at his brothers birthday party. I was very drunk (both of us were). I told him I fancied him grin. We got chatting and the rest is history as they say. 14 years together next year.

Ecadia Tue 21-Nov-17 20:18:09

I was in a dv relationship with his friend. I had a 1 year old daughter at the time and he helped me get out of the relationship and a safe place for me and my daughter to stay. We have now been together 6 years and have gone on to have 3 more children 😊

DancesWithOtters Tue 21-Nov-17 20:19:35

Struck up a conversation on an OLD site about cheese.

80sMum Tue 21-Nov-17 20:20:25

I met DH at a youth club when I was 16.

ChinaRose Tue 21-Nov-17 20:20:53

Paris hotel in Vegas. Night out. Was blind drunk.

gingerbreadmam Tue 21-Nov-17 20:23:36

Used to live on same estate as do when we were kids and all played together. When we were older we started hanging round in the same circles. Would never ever have thought we would get together but we just had so much fun together.

He was on a wild weekend with the boys and rang me for about two hours saying how he couldn't stop thinking about me, kind of got closer from there then eventually made it official.

BarryTheKestrel Tue 21-Nov-17 20:23:55

He was my bosses best friend, he was often hanging around the pub. We were friends for about 6 months and I honestly didn't fancy him, then after a series of dating the wrong men and feeling pretty awful about myself he offered to take me out 'and show me how a real man treats a lady'. I threw caution to the wind and thought why the hell not. That night I realised I did actually really like him despite convincing myself otherwise. 3 inseparable weeks later he moved in. We've been together 7 years now, married for 5 with one DC.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Tue 21-Nov-17 20:33:35

Was in a restaurant in Cyprus with DD who was 15 at the time. Some creep, older than me was bothering her, so I sent him packing. Actually he ran for the exit by the time I’d finished with him. DH was stood nearby and asked in wonder what the hell I’d said to him.

(I said I’d told him there was a sunlounger free, but that’s another story).

dreamingofprairies Tue 21-Nov-17 20:55:51

We met at the bar and exchanged numbers. Talked for weeks before going out on actual date.
We had 3 really nice dates, then on our 4th one we went out for dinner and on our way to the station I got violently sick on the street, he took me to his house and took care of me while I felt very embarrassed he had to witness that grin
A few weeks into our relationships, I adopted a 6 months old shelter puppy. The poor pup had bowel problems (new environment, new food etc). I think the moment I fell for DP was when I saw him in the backyard, massaging poor pup's stomach to help him poop grin

PNGirl Tue 21-Nov-17 20:58:34

We were in the same college (as in halls) at uni and a girl on my corridor introduced me to him in the bar on the first night. We didn't speak again much, although we had mutual friends, until we sat next to each other in the same bar and got chatting 2 weeks before the end of the year.

We got engaged the week before graduation, 3 years later, and got married 3 years after that. Been together 14 years in June.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Tue 21-Nov-17 21:02:16

Met dh in a wine bar. Total strangers, kissed at the bar within a few minutes and never had a night apart since that night in over 5 years!! Married with a toddler now. And i had dc when we met. Lots of dc!!

VioletHaze Tue 21-Nov-17 21:20:18

I was a podgy 15 year old with thick bottle glasses. He was a very glamorous and slightly older goth.

He doesn't remember, but I thought he was a bit magical. We met properly years later and got together pretty much immediately. Married for 15 year now.

DonkeyPunch88 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:21:29

I was on a hen do, he was a cocktail barman. He asked for my number and made me play this game to get it out of me. He then made me a disgusting cocktail and we texted for about 3 weeks before our first date. I stayed over that night and other than hospital we haven’t been apart since.
Just had our 5th anniversary and I gave birth to our DD this summer

LaBelleSausage Tue 21-Nov-17 21:27:17

We both started as graduates at the same company at the same time.
15 months later at the Christmas Party, we had one to many limoncellos and that was that!

moolady1977 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:28:30

Met my dp at work when I trained him on the job he was to be doing he then left after 7 months and we kept in touch went our for food as friends and it developed from there, we both had separate holidays booked and we were never off the phone to each other then when I got back he asked me to move in with him we have been together 6 months and living together 3 months he said he fell in love with how bossy I was at work but didn't do anything because of us working together

Domani Tue 21-Nov-17 21:29:16

Met in Toys R Us 27 years ago. He was the security guard and I was a cashier. He just couldn't resist me in my bright orange uniform with a giraffe on my back grin

ihatethecold Tue 21-Nov-17 21:30:33

We met through prostitution.
Been together for 18 years very happily.

DiscoDeviant Tue 21-Nov-17 21:32:37

At a rave reunion for a place we used to both go to in the early 90's. Turns out we grew up 4 miles apart, used to go to all the same places. Knew all the same people. His best friend came to my wedding! We had what can only be described as a mutual thunderbolt. Never believed in that shit before. I was 43 and had had a horrible 20 year marriage with a man who cheated constantly. We were living 200 miles apart but after 5 months he moved himself down south and rented a flat near me. He's going to move in with me in Feb when the years lease on his flat runs out. Life is good 😊

Moanyoldcow Tue 21-Nov-17 21:33:04

Met through a shared hobby and became friends very quickly although I fancied him rotten. He didn't seem interested so I moved on (stayed friends). Started seeing someone else very casually and withdrew a little from the friendship to protect myself. He contacted me to say he really missed me, asked me for a drink to 'catch up', told me he has feelings for me. Been together since that night 12 years ago. Married for 6 years, 1 DS who is 4 and another due in 3 months. He still makes my stomach flip and I still get excited to see him.

WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Tue 21-Nov-17 21:33:05

He showed me how to hook up a racing car ready to be towed. The next time I saw him, I bought him a coffee to say thanks and we flirted outrageously. A few weeks of messages later, he rescued me after a car breakdown and we had THE most intense kiss in a lay by. Haven't looked back since.

OSETmum Tue 21-Nov-17 21:37:39

We met in the sauna at the gym 😂 dh says he had seen me around in the gym and liked me but I can’t say I’d noticed him! So when I came int other sauna he got chatting to me.

Interestingly, another guy tried the same thing a week later but dh got there first.

Mum2jenny Tue 21-Nov-17 21:40:56

Met my dh at school but it took a while before we got married.

ThePinkOcelot Tue 21-Nov-17 21:46:16

Met my now DH at an 18th birthday party on the Tuzedo Princess, a nightclub ship on the River Tyne.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: