Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Time to walk away from this 'group?'

(2 Posts)
sumoslayer Sun 12-Nov-17 20:06:56

My 'friends' are falling like flies since having DC. As in, I'm losing them at a rather fast rate!
I've made new mum friends but I am shy and so they're more like acquaintances, although I do seem to have much more in common with them and I enjoy their company more. I'm not too good at upholding friendships though and always worry about coming on too strong.

I have one group of friends from my twenties who I meet up with maybe a few times per year, there are a couple of people within that group I will see on a 1:1 basis. As a group, we pretty much just all went drinking together and most of them still do, but I've really outgrown them and moved further away geographically too.
I recently discovered that they have a 'group messenger' thread which I've not been included in and seem to have missed out on the plans for our next get together, although I have been invited. I saw a conversation on social media regarding the get together and it became clear that further plans had been made on this thread which I wasn't aware of.
Also, one member of the group has arranged a seperate celebration and I haven't been invited at all to that, yet the rest of the group have.
I feel very different from the group and always have, nights out and drinking no longer attracts me, but I was hoping to continue being able to meet up from time to time. The group are much closer than I thought and I'm feeling like an outsider. It's difficult as I do have 1:1 friendships with 2 members of the group, but even with those, I feel a discomfort at times, as if theyre fully aware they're excluding me for reasons, only they have discussed. I have no proof of this, just a feeling.

Do I still go on this planned get together that I've been invited to and seek out the information that I've missed out on, or do I just forget it completely and focus on building new friendships which better suit my life as it is now?

youchangeyourusername Sun 12-Nov-17 20:23:45

I would go and then make a decision based on how you think this get together goes.

I am pretty shitty at maintaining friendships. I can go weeks without really bothering about seeing people or making the effort. I’m lucky that my friends don’t hold it against me and aren’t perfect themselves.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: