Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Quick dating question

(23 Posts)
Itsjustmarley Sun 12-Nov-17 14:49:02

So met guy online 2 weeks ago, we were meant to meet up tonight. Just asked him are we still meeting up, he's said to me just now "sorry can't do tonight, can we rearrange"

Reason being, he said he's been called into the office to sort some work out for Xmas. Is he literally just bailing?

Justbookedasummmerholiday Sun 12-Nov-17 14:50:21

It's November.
There is your answer.

Flyinggeese Sun 12-Nov-17 14:52:48

Sound like it. What did you reply to that?

I'd ditch. If he can't make the first date it doesn't bode well. Lucky escape OP.

userxx Sun 12-Nov-17 14:59:21

He's bailing. Delete and next.

Itsjustmarley Sun 12-Nov-17 15:00:07

I thought it was a load of BS. I said well can you meet me after then and his reply was he's not sure, he just needs to get to the office. I said well it's Sunday and could this not wait until Monday. No reply yet. Like he works in procurement so is it really that urgent to do it on a Sunday evening?

AllStar14 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:01:13

It could be genuine. I'd rearrange, and if he cancels again ditch him.

Regularsizedrudy Sun 12-Nov-17 15:04:54

NEXT!

NSEA Sun 12-Nov-17 15:06:48

You’re debating with him too much. Stop challenging him to tell the truth and just move on.

ALittleBitConfused1 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:10:23

So he was going to cancel but not tell you until you asked, I'd fuck him off on that alone.x

HateHomework Sun 12-Nov-17 15:10:41

Sorry but it does seem like you're begging ! You asked again and again.. fuck him, he probably looks like shit anyway, sounds like one! You don't need that!

Ellisandra Sun 12-Nov-17 15:13:16

I work in a related function, and yes, we could be dealing with an emergency on a Sunday night (although I'd say procurement emergency is a telco/laptop from home thing, not an office thing).

The issue here is that he didn't bother to tell you, so even if it is true, bin him off.

If it was genuine and he was interested (not just keeping you on hold in case another date doesn't work out hmm) he'd have got to you before you asked and said "I'm really sorry <explanation> would you consider re-arranging?"

(I wouldn't be up for a first date straight after having to work on a Sunday - I wouldn't be in the mood)

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:14:20

Have you checked his Facebook page to make sure he's not married?

teaandcakeat8 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:17:11

Don't text again and wait for him to rearrange. Then you get an answer.

rizlett Sun 12-Nov-17 15:23:46

Just send one more text to say not to worry - you have arranged something else instead.

If he's interested he'll come back to you and you've demonstrated that you won't be messed around or wait about for him. If he isn't and you do arrange something nice for yourself you won't feel so bad about it.

Itsjustmarley Sun 12-Nov-17 15:24:55

Thanks for the opinions and advice everyone. Oh and it was a second date we were going on. If he really did want to go out again he'd make rearrangements so I shall leave it.

TheFifthKey Sun 12-Nov-17 15:26:48

I agree, if he comes back with a specific date/suggestion without you prompting, I’d consider going. If not, forget it.

HateHomework Sun 12-Nov-17 15:27:30

So he obviously doesn't look that shit wink

So what rizlett said and don't worry there are loads of them out there x

AdalindSchade Sun 12-Nov-17 15:28:49

Stop trying to persuade him to meet you tonight. Either he's blowing you off in which case you need to move on or he's telling the truth in which case you're harassing him.

PringlesPirate Sun 12-Nov-17 15:43:00

It’s not nice to be cancelled on.

It’s also not nice to have insinuations of dishonesty or to be asked to rearrange Work.

The way I see it is - if someone cancels and they REALLY want to see you they would say something like
“I’m sorry I need to cancel but can you do this day or that day?”

Write it off and go on dates where the feeling is mutual

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Sun 12-Nov-17 16:13:35

*Stop trying to persuade him to meet you tonight. Either he's blowing you off in which case you need to move on or he's telling the truth in which case you're harassing him.^
^ This.
OP, if he suggests another date rather than a vague suggestion then you could give him the benefit of the doubt, but if he doesn't it sounds like he's not interested.

Crunchymum Sun 12-Nov-17 17:16:18

Office emergency on a Sunday? Xmas emergency on 12th November?

Tell him to jog on!!

Itsjustmarley Sun 12-Nov-17 17:24:48

That's what I was thinking. These were his words. His manager called him up this morning to go in today to plan all the work up until Xmas. I just didn't get why that had to be done on a Sunday evening now.

Bea1985 Sun 12-Nov-17 17:27:17

Nah... Delete and forget. If he was bothered he'd be trying to pin you down to another date/time.nand his story sounds like BS anyway. Don't waste another second thinking about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now