Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do I take 6 months out of my mental health nursing degree?

(13 Posts)
cupcakesmakeyouhappy Thu 09-Nov-17 18:05:33

Yes, I have posted before and firstly want to apologise for being a pain in the butt.. ..
I'm half way through my training. I have no idea what happened but had to take 4 weeks out on sick as I though I was going to crash and burn. I actually felt the physical signs of anxiety for the first time in my life. In that time completely wanted to give up. Took a job in a nursery (not started yet) told my uni that I needed 6 months out. All very supportive. Nursery is minimum wage but I didn't care, I would be free!!
Now...I have come back down to earth after speaking to many students/qualified, hearing this is normal. So now, Im in between thinking I do not want to work in mental health and it being normal.
Please, help me decide, I can't take this anymore. My head is going to explode!!
Nursery have offered hours to suit at minimum wage. No mental health. No assignments and exams for 6 months but money will be tight.
Go back to uni - I will have to make time missed back up but uni are saying this is doable and basically supporting me and wanting me to go back instead of taking 6 months.
Whatever I choose, I know I can't live on minimum wage forever but 6 months may help. I need to finish the degree don't I? Mental health nurse or not, a degree will benefit me more? The nursery salary will never improve although I imagine the best job in the world.
I know I have posted here before, some may recognise but I am desperate for advice again sad I have no family to talk to about it, unfortunately.
Thanks in advance smile

Caulk Thu 09-Nov-17 18:08:04

Does it have to be MH nursing? Would another branch be less stressful?

MatildaTheCat Thu 09-Nov-17 18:12:26

If uni are offering to support you then you should at least try that imo. You should be able to access some counselling and consider some stress management options which will obviously help you in all areas of life. Can you identify exactly what is causing you the worst problems? If so, perhaps there are ways of reducing the stressors.

The nursery job sounds like a safe option but not one which will challenge you or bring you long term satisfaction. Working in mental health is always going to be challenging but part of the training is learning to cope with that. As you gain experience you get better at dealing with issues that seem very daunting right now.

I hope you manage to complete the training even if you ultimately decide to work in another area. If support is available take it!

fannyfelcher Thu 09-Nov-17 18:13:00

If you do not want to go back to the same degree, technically you do not have too. Depending upon what stage you are at you can either change your pathway or request a credit transfer to the OU and study while you work in any area you want.

How far into your degree?

cupcakesmakeyouhappy Thu 09-Nov-17 18:44:56

Thankyou all smile
I can't transfer to another branch of nursing and to be honest do not wish too. It's my placements and being around mental health that was challenging. I am a single parent with very very little support so I feel this has had an impact. I have tried to reduce some stressors, for example out if school activities. I no longer exercise which has impacted on my mh. I just don't have time. I just started to feel if I wasn't in work I was running around or doing assignments. I started to drink more wine and put on weight.
Since being off I have worked on some general wards and had days where I have thought this is why I wanted to be a nurse but still very shocked by some of the professional attitudes. I try not to listen to negativity but no one wants to give me any positivity when it comes to working in mh. I started to doubt everything.
Now, I know I can't live on minimum wage forever and the degree (hopefully) will open doors for me even if I dislike the training.

cupcakesmakeyouhappy Thu 09-Nov-17 18:45:33

Ps...I have 16 months left of my degree.

Skyechasemarshalsfanmum Thu 09-Nov-17 18:48:44

My friend started a mental health nursing degree. She changed to general adult nursing as she realised after a few placements she did not want to do mental health work. Now shes a qualified staff nurse working in theatre doing anthiestetics and loves it.
She knows now it was definately the right thing to switch during the course.

Greedynan Thu 09-Nov-17 20:22:15

There's a strong chance that you may find yourself disillusioned or saddened by professional attitudes regardless of which branch of nursing you go into. It comes with the territory I'm afraid. And you get it in any profession. Personally I'd try hard to stick with the course. You're half way though. That's something to be proud of. An achievement. To stop thre could be something you look back on and regret. Hey, you don't have to go into nursing once you've done it but you'll have it under your belt and there are other paths you could take with all your placement experience. I know it's hard, the effects of medication, the self harm, the revolving door, the trauma and abuse these people have seen. You're clearly a person that cares. And nursing actually needs people like you. Accept the support on offer at uni. Be honest about your difficulties/concerns. You've got a lot to balance with the coursework, placements and homelife but you're half way through now ✨✨

LumpySpaceCow Thu 09-Nov-17 21:02:54

If I was in your position then I would plod on and try to finish the degree - having 6 months on is delaying the inevitable and in 16 months you will he annoyed when your peers are qualifying and you're not. Have you spoken to your GP? Would counselling/medication help?
I'm a nurse and although I trained 10 years ago, I can remember that there were many times I wanted to leave/change course and it was stressful (and I was young, free and without children at the time!). I'm glad I did it and enjoy my job but I have been very disillusioned since starting my training and working in the NHS.

Lolimax Thu 09-Nov-17 21:14:33

Hi op. My nearly 21 year old DD is now in her 3rd year of her mental health nursing. Tbh I didn’t think she’d get this far as nearly every term she’s had an anxiety crisis and has very nearly given up at least twice. Money and her mental health have been the major factors. A very difficult placement in CAHMS in her 2nd year very nearly finished it off for her.
She’s stuck at it. She’s now on her last but one placement and meeting newly qualifieds has definitely helped- she’s seen the light at the end of the tunnel. She’s also been offered 2 jobs which has made a massive difference to her confidence.
I think she’s glad now she didn’t finish or take a break. She’s had me and her step dad to hold her hand/dry her tears/kick her butt but I’m so proud of her.
Think long and hard, but I’m sure you aren’t the only one feeling this way.

cupcakesmakeyouhappy Fri 10-Nov-17 14:09:24

Thankyou everyone smile

I have seen my GP and was signed off for a month as I was so so anxious and feeling low. Time off has helped and after 8 weeks of completely hating it, I have decided to carry on for financial reasons. I just hope I don't crash and burn again.
I'm hoping I can find something I enjoy. I have worked so hard.
Thankyou for your kind words smile

LemonShark Fri 10-Nov-17 14:39:21

Sadly I saw this coming with your last thread about the issue. You were so caught up in desire and excitement for the nursery job as an escape from your degree you weren't really thinking about how it was cutting off a really big avenue for you in the future in terms of finances and career. The nursery is a dead end.

I'd encourage you to finish the course, it'll be hard but it's possible. I suffered with my MH badly while doing my 2yr social work training, working eighty hours per week on top of the coursework but if you want it badly enough you'll do it. Remember once you're qualified you don't have to work on an inpatient unit, there are all kinds of jobs available. You could go into therapy with more training. Giving the course up would be a massive mistake for a few weeks relief working in the nursery.

cupcakesmakeyouhappy Fri 10-Nov-17 15:26:01

LemonShark - true, I didn't see it as an escape at the time. I was so overwhelmed by the work load and acute placement aswell as trying to earn money. My time off has given me head space. I just hope I don't feel so bogged down again in the coming months. I was quite concerned about how bad I felt mentally.
I do home I find something I enjoy. I'm trying to go back with a different attitude and take some pressure off and Hoping to build my self confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now