Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Daughters friend

(13 Posts)
Duffmcstockings Sun 05-Nov-17 22:28:12

Would women’s aid help a teenage daughter? She doesn’t want my help, but I want her to know she has options

springydaffs Sun 05-Nov-17 22:36:39

Yes of course women's aid will help your daughter.

Thank God for Women's Aid halo

Duffmcstockings Sun 05-Nov-17 23:27:20

Luckily it’s not my daughter. I think bad stuff is happening in her best friends house. Dd won’t tell me any more, and I think the Mum can’t helphmm I just want to signpost if I can’t do anything elsesad

newdaylight Sun 05-Nov-17 23:34:43

Women's aid can support teenagers yes. Are you thinking there's domestic abuse in the household? Or that your dd's friend is in an abusive relationship. If so I'd suggest social services might be just as apt. Women's aid would probably refer in any case

Duffmcstockings Sun 05-Nov-17 23:40:14

Domestic abuse, possibly other abuses. She is 15, I don’t have enough to go on. I just know something is up. For a long time she was here every weekend, I could keep an eye. Now she is withdrawn, doesn’t come here, doesn’t mix at school.

springydaffs Mon 06-Nov-17 11:34:09

Definitely social services. Now. Straight away.

There is no way they will know it's you/your daughter who reported.

BrieAndChilli Mon 06-Nov-17 11:42:54

Social services
Child line

hellsbellsmelons Mon 06-Nov-17 11:48:29

Agree with PP's
At 15 this is a case for SS.
Call them now.
If you want advice first then have a chat with NSPCC.

Pinkpillows Mon 06-Nov-17 12:01:40

Be careful about what you first do, if she's given signs that something isn't right the dad I assume is the abuser someone turns up at the door, your daughter's friend could be in real trouble immediately afterwards and the mother. Social will not instantly remove unless she says something or they actually see something. I would approach women's aid to get advice maybe the mother wants to leave but can't, so arm yourself with information and see if you can approach gently the subject to the mother on the quiet see what she says. If after that its no good then phone social

springydaffs Mon 06-Nov-17 12:54:04

I don't agree Pink.

For a start they'd know it is you if you report later on down the line - if you report now it could be anybody, they won't know who it is.

Social services aren't idiots. They know how to approach things carefully.

Caulk Mon 06-Nov-17 12:57:34

Childline. They will breach confidentiality if needed and speak to social services, police etc.

I would probably make an anonymous report to NSPCC if it was me.

user1480334601 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:01:45

I agree social services sad I hope she's OK

Desmondo2016 Mon 06-Nov-17 14:49:54

In all honesty from what you've put here you are going to be struggling to get social services interested. A withdrawn teenager and some speculation about her homelife. You must have a bit more to base your worry on?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: