Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

25 yr old and a 37 yr old?

(17 Posts)
loui5a Sun 05-Nov-17 21:49:37

Will it work?
Female is the younger one.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Sun 05-Nov-17 21:52:08

Age is a number.
I am 46, dh 36.

Migraleve Sun 05-Nov-17 21:52:20

Well whether a relationship works is more to do with the people in it rather than their ages!

Lots of people with age gaps make it work, equally lots don't. Lots of people of similar ages make it work, again, lots don't.

Isadora2007 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:54:39

Ask a magic 8 ball? It had as much chance of coming up with an accurate answer as us.
Relationships are made by the people in them- their decisions, personalities, actions, words, their pasts and their families may influence that. Not their birthdays.

TammyswansonTwo Mon 06-Nov-17 07:51:04

An age gap like this probably doesn't seem much now but may become more of an issue later since people tend to want different things at different stages of life. Do they want kids, what are their longterm goals etc?

INeedNewShoes Mon 06-Nov-17 07:53:12

I know plenty of happy couples with this sort of age gap.

Stillwishihadabs Mon 06-Nov-17 07:58:16

My DSis and her Dp have this age gap and were this sort of age when they met. It was great until he was 49 and she 34 two kids later he is an old 54 and she is a frazzled 39, he is looking at having dependants until he is 70, she will go from having young children to an elderly husband. Not so much fun now.

DancesWithOtters Mon 06-Nov-17 08:08:22

Sounds fine.

corythatwas Mon 06-Nov-17 08:10:23

Absolutely depends on the people involved. Not everybody is old at 54 or even 70, not everybody wants the same thing from life.

My IL's had a 17 year age difference which worked fine for them: when FIL retired he became a SAHD while MIL carried on working.

Longterm goals is something you need to discuss in any relationship.

NewBigPrinz Mon 06-Nov-17 08:13:16

I have an 8 year age gap with my husband (he’s older). It’s never been the slightest issue, we have very similar interests (I was always a bit precocious and interested in stuff that was a bit too old for me) except that I used to worry about him dying much before me and leaving me on my own. Then I was diagnosed with a life-limiting illness so that’s not really an issue...

If you’re asking this about someone else’s relationship I would butt out, but if you’re worrying about this in relation to your own relationship then I would question whether it’s right for you.

SandyY2K Mon 06-Nov-17 08:16:39

It's not the biggest age gap and more important I'd the stages of life you're both at....and what you want from the relationship.

hellsbellsmelons Mon 06-Nov-17 09:25:56

That's that too big an age gap.
Of course it can work.
Why do you ask?
Are their differences showing already?
Do you both want the same things out of life?
i.e. kids, careers, etc....?

user71017 Mon 06-Nov-17 09:31:20

I'm 29, dh is 37, we've been together since I was 21, it's never been an issue.

cherrycola2004 Mon 06-Nov-17 09:35:54

i'm 34 DP 48
been together 13 years, both very happy
no kids, neither of us want them
i've always been mature for my age so think it was natural i'd end up with someone older

Itsonkyme Mon 06-Nov-17 09:43:02

There is 12 years difference between my Dh and myself. We have been married 43 years and have two children and five Gc.
I suppose you could say it worked 😁
Funnily enough the age gap becomes less and less as you get older and now no-one would guess the age gap. (annoyingly for me) 😡
If you love each other and get on, just go for it.

cherrycola2004 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:43:29

@Itsonkyme grin very annoying when the age gap becomes less noticeable as you get older. Sounds it’s def worked for you, lovely to read.

oldlaundbooth Mon 06-Nov-17 13:44:18

Will it work? confused

How long is a piece of string?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now