Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Abusive relationships/ misogyny

(6 Posts)
Bubblebug1 Sun 05-Nov-17 14:09:15

Is the only option to leave or can you ever work through it?

Tia x

Bubblebug1 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:01:28

Has anyone ever made it work after abuse?

pallasathena Sun 05-Nov-17 19:26:47

Not in my circle of family and friends. Misogynists need re-educating, serious counselling and they need to acknowledge that they have psychological problems...most abusers are in a state of denial initially so you have to get past that and get them to understand that their view of the world is fatally flawed...not easy!
Personally, I wouldn't invest any more time or energy in someone who has misogyny in his/her psyche. You can't fix them.
You can ruin your life trying to. Its a no win situation.

Bubblebug1 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:44:31

So there’s no hope for misogynists but abusers who want to change their behaviour theoretically could?

I just wonder if my ex would ever be able to have a relationship with DD

But probably not. He is abusive and a misogynist and I wouldn’t want her to be indoctrinated by him. I believe he’s dangerous to her after the way he treated me, too.

The courts agree right now but that could change if he reapplied.

pallasathena Sun 05-Nov-17 20:17:04

Sometimes its best just to walk away...and if you feel that your daughter could be in any danger then I personally would move heaven and earth to make sure she wasn't placed in any vulnerable situation.
And if that mean no contact with her father, then so be it.

Bubblebug1 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:52:20

She’s currently NC

DP is a bit misogynistic too though tbh
Well, sometimes.
I sure pick them.
He’s insensitive but not abusive though thank God and brilliant with DD

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: