Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

If this happened to you, what would your DH/DP do?

(327 Posts)
Inarightpickleandchutney Thu 02-Nov-17 19:00:03

Let’s say you were about an hour away from home.
With a DD, having a day out at the seaside.
I have a known allergy and carry epi pens.
I went to a cafe with DD, asked about the food, ordered etc. Minutes later after a first mouthful I’m struggling for breath and it’s very obvious it’s anaphylactic shock.
DD is 7, tells a grown up they do the epi pen and n ambulance is called.

The nurse at the hospital calls home to say don’t panic but this has happened and it was a close call but it’s all under control.

Your DH.... what is their response to that call?

LaChatte Thu 02-Nov-17 19:01:29

He'd be in the car on his way to me the second he hung up.

Pollydonia Thu 02-Nov-17 19:01:35

Dh would drop whatever he was doing and get to the hospital. You ok op?

FellOutOfBed2wice Thu 02-Nov-17 19:01:47

Firstly he would check his daughter was safe and being taken care of, then he would swiftly ask how I was. Then he would grab his car keys and nearest pair of shoes and be there in as long as it took to drive to us.

offside Thu 02-Nov-17 19:02:06

He'd be in the car before the nurse had put the phone down.

What did your DH do?

And sorry this happened to you, it must have also been awful for your DD to witness.

Santawontbelong Thu 02-Nov-17 19:02:32

Dh would grow wings and fly there.
Am guessing your dh didn't?

HerOtherHalf Thu 02-Nov-17 19:03:45

Straight in the car to the hospital and if for whatever reason i couldn't drive I'd get lift from a friend or a taxi if needs be and to hell with the cost.

MadMags Thu 02-Nov-17 19:04:01

Rush to wherever I was, as any decent partner would do.

Liz38 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:04:13

Yep, same. He'd check that DD was ok and then get over there as fast as possible.

deckoff Thu 02-Nov-17 19:04:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PickAChew Thu 02-Nov-17 19:05:00

I would hope he'd at least offer to collect the 7 year old. In reality, mine goes into useless mode when I'm ill.

Rainyboooooo Thu 02-Nov-17 19:05:10

My DP would be straight there.

My ex-husband would ask when I would be home and then carry on watching the football.

Believeitornot Thu 02-Nov-17 19:05:59

I’m guessing your dh wasn’t fussed....

katmarie Thu 02-Nov-17 19:06:06

He'd be out the door and to the hospital to look after both of us, before I could even tell him not to worry. No question.

By the way it sounds like your DD was really mature and calm in a crisis, she's a credit to you smile

Glowerglass Thu 02-Nov-17 19:06:31

Would be in the car as fast as possible.

CrazyHairSister Thu 02-Nov-17 19:06:51

Not married or living together and DC aren't his, but he would be in the car and on his way as soon as he put the phone down.

Hope you are ok OP

Gemini69 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:07:05

my husband would have been there in a heartbeat... flowers

Inarightpickleandchutney Thu 02-Nov-17 19:07:14

I knew I was right!!
DH didn’t move from the settee.
As the nurse had said it was under control it wasn’t overly serious and all’s well that ends well.
We got the train home together (me and DD) around 10.30 pm.
DD was amazing and I’m fine by the way! But he didn’t come....

Cockmagic Thu 02-Nov-17 19:07:28

Mine would be straight out of work and to me. Even though he'd probably have to to an extra days work.

We've been together 2 years and don't live together yet.

What happened op?

WhirlwindHugs Thu 02-Nov-17 19:07:35

He might not come straight over, he'd probably want to talk to me to sort out what would happen with the other DC. (is that feasible if you're that ill? Or work it out himself I guess) But, basically he'd be over to see me as soon as he possibly could.

Your DD sounds brilliant, and I hope you have recovered now.

WillowWeeping Thu 02-Nov-17 19:08:04

Out the door on the way to the hospital before I could tell him I was fine and not to worry about anything other than DD.

Hope you're ok OP

CountessofGrantham Thu 02-Nov-17 19:08:04

Just asked him and he said he’d be straight over to make sure DD was ok and then me. Which is the order of priority I would expect and want from him. Guessing it didn’t work out like that...

colouringinagain Thu 02-Nov-17 19:08:27

angry

TarquinGyrfalcon Thu 02-Nov-17 19:08:29

He'd move heaven and earth to get to me as soon as possible - and if the situation were reversed I'd do the same

gamerchick Thu 02-Nov-17 19:08:41

He would ask me if I wanted him to come if it was under control. I’d assume he was accustomed to the drill. He knows I would ask if I needed him.

I take it he didn’t come and you expected him to then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now