Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Friend's new GF invited me to their wedding ..

(18 Posts)
sparkycus Thu 02-Nov-17 16:35:03

.. So last night we were at a function , and my friend is there with his new gf ( of 4 months) . She wouldn't leave him alone to talk to me or anyone else at all , and when he was out of earshot she verbally invited me to their wedding.

I messaged him this morning to express congratulations on their engagement and he says he's not engaged .

So has my friend found himself a psycho ? How on earth do you stay a friend with someone who's partnered up with a girl like that?

Part of me says .. stay mates as he will need his friends when it goes wrong , but pat of me also says run like fook , cause if this girl is crazy enough to invite me to an imaginary wedding i don't need that in my life .

What the right way to deal with this ? Ignore it like it never happened ? Have a quiet word with him ? Or find new friends ? hmm confused

Jenala Thu 02-Nov-17 16:37:44

Just reply "oh GF invited me to your wedding last night" and see what he says

bigfishlittlefishtupperwarebox Thu 02-Nov-17 16:41:49

Maybe she was just nervous meeting his friends and made a bad joke? You’d really drop a friend because his girlfriend did that??

sparkycus Thu 02-Nov-17 16:46:24

I just txt him that .. he says she must have said it wrong .. they did talk about how he'd like to get married at some point eventually .. but he hasn't poped the question. She is just his Gf.

I hope he doesn't talk about kids .. at this rate she will ask for godparents before she gets pregnant confused

offside Thu 02-Nov-17 16:46:39

Another vote for a bad joke here and an overreaction from you.

sparkycus Thu 02-Nov-17 16:50:45

Bigfish .. yes I'm considering it.. it wasn't a joke. she was deadly serious.

To me the girl is deeply insecure and could be trouble in the making. 4 months they've been together .. 4 months.

Thats a red flag to me .. i had a crazy possessive ex and i don't like being around people like that .

Barbaro Thu 02-Nov-17 17:09:11

She probably is nuts but why would you abandon your friend just because of that? He must not be much of a friend if you don't want to deal with any of his personal life really in any way. Just ignore her, I doubt they will together long if she is like that.

sparkycus Thu 02-Nov-17 17:37:29

Barbaro , she reminds me of my ex. I just can't deal with her. I don't want to dump my friend but i know i will end up avoiding them because i don't know how to handle her behaviour.

Trills Thu 02-Nov-17 19:58:09

Has she shown any other behaviour that you can't handle or is it just this one thing?

What exactly did she say?

Dauphinoise Thu 02-Nov-17 20:04:03

So when is this wedding meant to be? Did she give you any specific details? Such as "He proposed on XX" "We're getting married at XX venue on XX date"

Are you definitely sure she isn't just winding you up because she knows you don't particularly like her?

Trills Thu 02-Nov-17 20:24:05

And what did he say when you told him "she invited me to your wedding"?

NowApparently Thu 02-Nov-17 20:33:53

My ex invited my friends to our wedding after we broke up and emailed me an itemised breakdown of the cost of the said wedding. Some people are mental.

HeddaGarbled Thu 02-Nov-17 21:28:06

Or .... she'd noticed that you kept trying to drag him off for private conversations which excluded her and was winding you up?

AlonsosLeftPinky Thu 02-Nov-17 21:55:30

So this girl who you don't know is insecure?

Doesn't sound like your friend was overly bothered.

Christ, just be a friend to him the same as you have been rather than creating a drama.

SingingSeuss Thu 02-Nov-17 22:17:58

Stay out of it. I had a friend in a similar situation. She spoke to her friend about new girlfriend's odd behaviour. Bad move. Phonecalls without her listening in, social media/ any contact without her there soon became non existent. They're now married.

Reflexella Thu 02-Nov-17 22:38:51

Yea possible it was just a joke. It’s the sort of dopey thing someone might say with a combination of meeting bfs mates nerves & a couple of glasses of wine. Possibly she woke up next morning & was having hangover shudders at the thought.
Bit too soon to call psycho - give her a chance

pieceofpurplesky Thu 02-Nov-17 22:38:53

Did she perhaps feel threatened by you? Some women don’t understand that men can have female friends looking at you best friends wife that banned us from talking

HoHoHoHo Thu 02-Nov-17 22:58:50

Are you sure it wasn't a bad joke or something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now