Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Birthday sadness

(10 Posts)
ChickenMom Thu 02-Nov-17 09:35:28

I've been with my DH for 17 years. He left me on Monday. Didn't tell me he was going or where. He told my DS that he would be gone for 4 days and that mummy's and daddy's don't always stay married. It's my birthday today. No card and just had an email from him saying "Have a lovely day! Lots of love" just that. It feels weird and crap to be honest. I just replied "thank you". Surely after 17 years together, things should be easier and happier than this? Any happy stories after this type of thing happening would be very much appreciated today.

free2017 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:40:25

Happy Birthday OP 🍰. I don’t have any useful advice but I hope you have a lovely day smileflowers

sodastreamlover Thu 02-Nov-17 10:52:05

Oh Chicken that's very very tough. Can you go and see a friend today, just so you're not alone?

Juststopit Thu 02-Nov-17 10:54:17

Have a wonderful birthday and remember that this years might be crap but next years might be so much better.
Spend the day with friends, do something with DS.

letsdolunch321 Thu 02-Nov-17 11:06:48

Happy Birthday 🎈

Things will get better.

Walking out and not explaining is the cowards way out. What a bastard

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 02-Nov-17 11:14:10

Happy Birthday... sounds a bit trite really given the circumstances and how you must be feeling. I'm so sorry, OP.

So he's gone, will be back in 4 days and you've just to look after your son in the meantime and await his return. I don't think it's helpful to try to guess where he is and what he's doing but you really shouldn't have to. If your marriage is ending then he owes you a conversation, not this.

He sounds horribly thoughtless and he obviously can't be trusted to behave decently towards you.

I would be using today to wallow and promise myself that my birthday next year will be different - and the remaining days until he returns to gather paperwork and make enquiries. This shouldn't be all on his terms.

altiara Thu 02-Nov-17 11:19:45

Can you not recall that message and send “fuck off” instead?
Happy birthday, can you take DS out to one of those fancy ice cream parlours and have a great time getting sugared up and enjoy yourself flowers

ChickenMom Thu 02-Nov-17 20:04:33

Thank you everyone. I've actually had a good day despite the sadness. Went to the movies with my mum then bowling after school. Eaten loads of junk food and drank loads of expensive coffees. It's been ok. I'm going to fake it till I make it xxxx

MollyHuaCha Thu 02-Nov-17 20:11:18

cake Sorry you are going through this.

Reflexella Thu 02-Nov-17 23:08:40

Good I’m glad your day turned out ok.

Happy Birthday! 🍰 x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now