Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Dating Thread Number 124: Ghosting For Halloween Edition.

(1000 Posts)
Smeaton Tue 31-Oct-17 14:58:49

Dating thread rules:

1. The first rule about the dating thread is you don't talk about it with people you're dating.
2. Develop a thick skin.
3. Do not invest emotionally too soon.
4. It's all BS until it actually happens.
5. Trust your gut instinct.
6. People vanishing, lying & being generally weird is not your fault.
7. You are the prize - they should be trying to impress you.
8. If it's not fun, stop.
9. Loo update is mandatory.
10. No dating the thread.

PhoenixMama Tue 31-Oct-17 15:19:49

LOVING the title Smeaton!

RubyRed2017 Tue 31-Oct-17 15:47:43

Best thread title ever

Biddy, Rosa he hasn't explained yet why he went AWOL but he has apologised and reassured me it wasn't anything dodgy and I believe him. Fingers crossed. Thanks again fore the hand-hold.

Lovemusic33 Tue 31-Oct-17 15:49:07

Marking my spot but lurking at the moment as not a lot going for me (not sure if that's a good or bad thing).

Farontothemaddingcrowd Tue 31-Oct-17 15:52:57

Pleased to hear that Ruby.
Hope you are feeling better love.
Been a bit upset today as someone I thought was a good friend sent me a text saying she didn't want to be my friend anymore. I suffer from depression and had become introverted. She said it had made me self centred sad

Biddylee Tue 31-Oct-17 15:59:08

far that's pretty shitty of her.

Farontothemaddingcrowd Tue 31-Oct-17 16:04:06

It's her right I suppose but it feels awful. Only I could get dumped when I'm not even dating hmm

Biddylee Tue 31-Oct-17 16:15:06

Far Perhaps she could have handled it a little better. Did she have to tell you? Do you see each other all of the time?

Farontothemaddingcrowd Tue 31-Oct-17 16:16:37

We didn't see each other that much. There was a monthly comedy night
What hurt is that I introduced her to my other friend and she's been chatting to her and ignoring me. Feels like I'm at school again

Smeaton Tue 31-Oct-17 16:18:10

Far

Think of it less like losing a friend and more like getting rid of an arsehole. You have an illness, a friend would help and be there, not fuck off.

Have a cake and replace her with someone better.

Lovemusic33 Tue 31-Oct-17 16:20:10

Far she doesn't sound like a very good friend if she thinks it's ok to message you to say 'I don't want to be friend anymore' sad. I don't have many friends as I hate the bitchieness and I hate being used by people ( used to have friends that would only call when they wanted something ).

Pavonia Tue 31-Oct-17 16:28:53

Faron flowers that's horrible. It doesn't sound like she will be much of a loss.

Biddylee Tue 31-Oct-17 16:38:55

Far She could have just gently put distance between you. As Smeaton said, it's getting rid of an arsehole. You need friends who are understanding.

Biddylee Tue 31-Oct-17 16:41:03

btw - great jokes on the end of the other thread smeaton

Farontothemaddingcrowd Tue 31-Oct-17 16:47:02

Thank you guys. I've been terribly upset actually.

Biddylee Tue 31-Oct-17 16:48:55

Far I'm not surprised. I think most people would be. Better to have the good eggs in your life rather than ones slowly letting off a stink!

flowergirl5 Tue 31-Oct-17 17:09:30

Love the title of the thread. Just place marking x

Pixieb34 Tue 31-Oct-17 17:50:08

I'd be really upset by that too Far, what a shitty thing to do! flowers

AntiGrinch Tue 31-Oct-17 18:10:38

Hi. thanks for the new thread

PhoenixMama Tue 31-Oct-17 18:21:23

Far - that’s a horribly selfish thing to say! Shame on her. I suffer from depression too & it’s insane what some people think is ok to say. flowersgincake

Farontothemaddingcrowd Tue 31-Oct-17 19:09:58

If I was suffering from a debilitating physical illness no one would call me self centred for suffering. Yes it does hurt. She said 'Hope you get sorted but I'm not prepared to be an echo chamber and tell you what you want to hear. '
I'll never be sorted, I'll always have depression to a greater or lesser degree, but I can manage it. I didn't realise she felt like that. I'd introduced her to my other friend and invited her on nights out, listened to her when she split with her partner temporarily.

couchtospecialk Tue 31-Oct-17 20:16:15

Far sorry to hear that sad I've had depression too and it's so unfair that such a hideous condition comes with such awful stigma from some angry We have an old saying in my family from my grandad which always comes in handy in these situations... "F*ck em" grin ahh he was a character.

Love the new thread title!

Farontothemaddingcrowd Tue 31-Oct-17 20:31:03

Thanks couch and love your grandad's motto!

SerialMistakeMaker Tue 31-Oct-17 20:55:38

FAR So sorry to hear that flowers I agree with what many others have said, she can't have been that much of a friend to behave like that.

SMEATON Loved the jokes grin

Not much to report here other than telling Mr RL that he probably shouldn't bother texting me anymore. I've know him for nearly a year and half and have only seem him 6 times in the first 3 months and that was only because he was working on my estate. There been times when we've tried to arrange something but something always comes up his end.
I was child free for most of half term and he said he would see if he could find some time to see me then at the beginning of half term he told me that he'd injured himself. I want surprised by this at all and knew that meant that I wasn't going to get to see him. I heard hardly anything from him last week yet suddenly yesterday once he knew the coast was clear and that I had the kids back, he was back to usual self, messaging me and sending voice messages.
I told him we shouldn't bother anymore as it's really messed my head up and the cheeky bugger blocked me!!!

SerialMistakeMaker Tue 31-Oct-17 20:56:29

Couch's grandads motto is perfect for how I feel grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.