Talk

Advanced search

"Love is a commitment, not a feeling" - do you agree?

(29 Posts)
pieceofpietuesday Mon 30-Oct-17 19:42:26

Agree or disagree with this?

Blondielongie Mon 30-Oct-17 19:46:16

Its more than a feeeeling!

(sorry)

I think it's both to be honest. If you really love someone, you will want to commit to them. And love is a feeling/emotion. So I would say both.

PinkHeart5914 Mon 30-Oct-17 19:47:57

Love is a feeling.

Love doesn’t always equal commitment, Some people love each other but for many reason can’t be together, some people are still in love with an ex from long ago for example

BackInTheRoom Mon 30-Oct-17 19:54:13

People have been trying to define 'love' for years! Tbh I give the hell up! Love is complicated!

grannysmiff Mon 30-Oct-17 19:59:21

I cant remember who said it but...

Love is giving the other person the better coloured tea.

flamingnoravera Mon 30-Oct-17 20:06:06

Love is a choice, it’s evidenced in actions. Passion, lust, affection are feelings. Love is behaviour IMO.

Farontothemaddingcrowd Mon 30-Oct-17 20:07:22

Love is a choice you make. It's a verb. You show your love. If you don't show your love, then it isn't love in my opinion.

ClearEyesFullHearts Mon 30-Oct-17 20:07:57

Love is a verb.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Mon 30-Oct-17 20:08:17

Love is an action, how you act towards a person. Not just a feeling.

happy2bhomely Mon 30-Oct-17 20:08:20

Love is a feeling. Loving is a commitment.

Love is something you feel. It is personal. You can love someone without them even knowing it or returning it.

Loving is something you do, not feel. It is in every word, decision and action and is as much about what the other person feels as what you feel. It is an exchange. Ongoing loving is a commitment.

It is easy to love someone. Sometimes it can't be helped. It's not so easy to be loving towards someone. Love is not enough for a relationship. It's the loving that is important.

So, I disagree.

RoseAndRose Mon 30-Oct-17 20:13:54

Why does it need to be either/or?

1DAD2KIDS Mon 30-Oct-17 20:14:02

Depends what you want out of life? What life has taught me is a life relationship is more than just feelings. It's about true commitment on both sides. Love is a feeling but a life relationship needs far more than just love, including commitment and dedication to each other. I'm not sure everyone is cut out for that or desires that?

1DAD2KIDS Mon 30-Oct-17 20:14:15

Depends what you want out of life? What life has taught me is a life relationship is more than just feelings. It's about true commitment on both sides. Love is a feeling but a life relationship needs far more than just love, including commitment and dedication to each other. I'm not sure everyone is cut out for that or desires that?

TheNaze73 Mon 30-Oct-17 21:17:17

Love doesn’t mean commitment.

PerfectlyDone Mon 30-Oct-17 21:18:33

Love is actions, not words.

Feelings are a part of it.
Commitment? That depends on what is agreed.

SandyY2K Mon 30-Oct-17 21:33:43

I believe love is an action. It's not about just saying the word ... but it's your actions.
You can be commited, without love.

BeerBaby Mon 30-Oct-17 21:35:09

Disagree

Love51 Mon 30-Oct-17 21:39:35

Feeling means 2 things. It means the physiological response, and the emotion accompanying it. Love isn't physiology, (although that's certainly a big part of romantic love) and I think its more than emotion, because love lasts decades and emotions don't (see the thread dh is smelly and annoying and all the responses 'you're hormonal, preg or perimenopause?')
Sooo, love love is a drug
Love is a verb
Love is s choice.

Which is probably why there is so much poetry about it!

Ttbb Mon 30-Oct-17 21:45:11

Or maybe it's a feeling of commitment shock

TowerRingInferno Mon 30-Oct-17 21:47:09

Disagree - the opposite.

Feeling precedes commitment, and commitment often continues long after feeling has waned.

demirose87 Mon 30-Oct-17 21:49:34

Love is a feeling that you put into practice if that makes sense. You can have commitment without love I think, but not love without commitment.

Vitalogy Mon 30-Oct-17 21:57:01

Love is a feeling. What commitment do you have to someone that's dead, you don't but you still love them.

MollyWantsACracker Mon 30-Oct-17 23:28:35

Love is a feeling without a doubt and exists and continues whether or not it is acknowledged or reciprocated and its fucking annoying and I really really wish it would go away!

PuertoVallarta Mon 30-Oct-17 23:29:56

This is long but excellent. He outlines what society tells us about love, where those ideas came from, and how they can be helpful or damaging. He's also very funny.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOuIyEJnbE

(But I don't know how to do the linky thing.blush)

Arealhumanbeing Tue 31-Oct-17 12:29:24

It’s a feeling. There can’t always be commitment.

Love can last without commitment but commitment can kill it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: