Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would you leave?

(39 Posts)
Athome77 Sat 28-Oct-17 16:59:40

I love my husband and would miss him.

I think our relationship is great etc.

The only thing that really upsets me, and he says this at least once a week, is : ‘this is my house’. He owns it and pays mortgage and it’s all in his name. It even comes done to colours when painting, finishing, it’s all very masculine, he hates my ‘tat’ eg dolphins, can’t have them out, but we have lots of model aeroplanes out (his not mine). Someone recently came in and said they wouldn’t have known a woman lived here.

We have kids. My dad was controlling and I always said I would leave anyone like that, as we are getting older I feel he is becoming more controlling.

Would you leave?

pastabakewithcheese Sat 28-Oct-17 17:02:42

Not leave, more like challenge the dynamics. Sit down and have a talk. Why is the house in his name? And are you contributing to the mortgage? Or if you work or get benefits, does part of that money go towards the house or any items in the house?

misscheery Sat 28-Oct-17 17:03:24

OP, do tell us your full situation. Do you work? Are you financially independent (I know you said he pays the mortgage but that doesn’t really tell if you are working). If you were to leave, where would you go?

I would leave, yes, however I don’t know your particular situation

Belleoftheball8 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:04:23

If your married it’s not just his house anymore is it. I would leave it sounds like it will only get worse. How long have you been married?

Cookingongas Sat 28-Oct-17 17:07:26

You haven’t said much. Id not be happy living with a man so dismissive of our shared existence. But you say you are.

As you are married it is in fact your house too. Why have you never challenged this attitude? Have you never compromised together in taste and decorating? Or is it always what he says goes?

Greenicicle Sat 28-Oct-17 17:07:43

It may be his HOUSE op, but its your HOME. Except it isnt really is it?

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 28-Oct-17 17:10:19

Our house hasn't my name on it (I was on MAT leave at the time) but DH has never said this to me.
I would be telling him he needs to start seeing things differently or you will leave him in "his" house alone.

Athome77 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:10:30

13 years together married 8 ( we only married so we could move to an Arabic country).

I work I earn around £23,000. He earns over £70,000.

I have enough to buy a house (savings- inheritance and a mortgage).

Have figured out I could do it financially without any support from him, but any child support from him would be a bonus.

Apileofballyhoo Sat 28-Oct-17 17:13:35

Have you told him how unhappy you are with the way he treats you?

Athome77 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:16:33

cookingongas he’s only been like this for the past few years, actually since we came back from the Middle East and I got a job.

greenicicle I’m starting to see it’s not really my home, which is kind of why I’m asking

Even though I earn money I don’t even own my own car! My problem I know and could get one in my own name. I’m just starting to realise how controlled things are...

The kids can only have friends over when he’s working away.

PoisonousSmurf Sat 28-Oct-17 17:17:35

He sounds charming. Has he always been like this or is it because of where you live? Maybe his friends have had words with him about his wife knowing 'her place'.
You would get half the house (in the UK), but if you are abroad where women's rights are not clear then it could be 'his house'.
Hope you have a seperate account. Put some money into that for a quick escape if you have to!

MamaLeen Sat 28-Oct-17 17:18:34

Regardless of salary etc. It's both your house. If you were to separate you would be entitled to half the value of your family home together. (Unless a prenup was signed.)

Slowly add you little tough to each room. Most men don't notice stuff like that.
And talk to him about how you feel. Maybe he doesn't realise it hurts you as as much as it does.

PoisonousSmurf Sat 28-Oct-17 17:18:42

Sorry crossed post. But why can't you get your own car? Do you have a joint account?

Athome77 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:18:44

apilieofballyhoo no
Probably because my self esteem is crap

A friend recently asked to borrow money and I said no and she’s not talked to me since!

Athome77 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:22:04

My own bank account, my wages go into it, I spend it how I want to. I don’t pay any bills. I don’t want half his house. It’s not about the financial crap. I could financially leave.

IrritatedUser1960 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:23:57

The trouble is, if this continues you will eventually come to hate him.
I think you need to tell him this and be quite forceful about it. You need to tell him and he needs to listen, no marriage can survive unless the partners are equal.
Insist on counselling, tell him you are seriously questioning your relationship and that this cannot carry on.

Athome77 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:24:34

I think the next time he comes out with it I will point out what he has said and if it continues will leave (but the house I want isn’t actually built yet- new development but that wouldn’t stop anything)

peanut2017 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:28:48

Sounds very controlling op and not a very loving thing to say to your wife and mother of your children. Definitely not acceptable and may only get worse for you.

How is he around your children?

Lozmatoz Sat 28-Oct-17 17:34:10

He is being controlling.

Viviennemary Sat 28-Oct-17 17:34:35

Well he does sound as if he likes his own way about things. It's wrong that you don't have a say in decorating. (But we never agree on paint colours so not much gets done because neither of us budges which is difficult too) It depends on how much this side of him impacts on you. Are you generally happy in your everyday life or not. If it's your car does it matter whose actual name it's in if its for your use.

Athome77 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:39:27

How do you mean how is he around the children?

They have everything-iPads etc. He’s not mean to them. One wanted an Xbox and was saving up, he had half the money so dh brought it for him. He’s nice, caring, loving etc, never smacked them. They just don’t have friends round when he’s here....

From the outside everything looks perfect which I guess is why I’m asking would you leave, I’m probably scared people will think I’m mad for potentially leaving what is a great life. As other posters have said it is making me start to dislike him and I think it will only get worse.

In my heart I think the only way forward is to leave/make him see I’m serious about going unless he stops saying it. Maybe he thinks I should pay some of the bills (but them I spend most of my wages on shopping, vet bills, school lunches, my car insurance, piano lessons, cleaner, tutor, kids clothes, swimming training, scouts, scout weekend away etc ).

Athome77 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:41:22

viv yes I’m generally happy, and we have some great times together, but is that enough to overcome the way I feel when he says ‘it’s my house’ I’m not sure

Viviennemary Sat 28-Oct-17 17:59:22

I wonder why he is saying it. You could ask him outright. Why do you keep going on about this being your house and not mine. Would you rather I moved out. And see how he replies to that. It all boils down to does this affect your life and make you feel inferior which it shouldn't as you've got your own money anyway. You are paying bills.

And I think you were right not to lend money to a friend unless it was just a few pounds for a week or two. I wouldn't do anything too rash without thinking things over very carefully.

Cricrichan Sat 28-Oct-17 18:33:30

So you spend your wage on him and the kids - food, house etc. However, since you're married, once you split, you'll also have a stake in the house.

I would give him an ultimatum op. What an arse.

Cambionome Sat 28-Oct-17 19:14:25

Be completely clear on this op - if you are married you are entitled to at least 50% of all assets including the house. Don't listen to this "it's my house " crap; he is legally (and morally) in the wrong here.

I would strongly advise you NOT to leave without everything that you are entitled to - you and your dc may need it in the future. Also don't let the tight bastard get away with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now