Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Starting again after divorce in 50’s

(10 Posts)
Feelingfree Sat 28-Oct-17 09:51:06

I was married for 27 years, always seemed happy. We got on, never argued, comfortable life. It obviously wasn’t happy for him as he had an affair for the last year. 18 months on we are now divorced, I have my own house with my children (21 and 18). He lives with OW. I had lots of counselling and realised I wasn’t fulfilled in marriage either, more best friends (although I would never have cheated)

I’m enjoying my single life and although I do not feel ready to date yet I wonder if I will be single forever.

Do all men in my age range want younger models. I hope not. Would like to hear any stories of moving on after divorce. Thanks

TheNaze73 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:55:36

I don’t think all do but, most seem to & you see a lot of older second time around couples, where the female is considering younger. Can work both ways but, I think that dynamic works, though it’s not for me

TheNaze73 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:55:57

Considerably!

User462892925 Sat 28-Oct-17 10:27:11

There is no point trying to gloss over it, men tend,in general,to prefer younger women. For some reason men in their 50's seem to think they all look like George Clooney and can easily attract a women in her 30's. This means men in their 60's and 70's also think they can attract a woman in her 50's!

However there will be exceptions to this but perhaps online dating is not the way to meet someone in the age range you desire. Joining clubs and taking up new interests might lead to more opportunity.

Colourmylife1 Sat 28-Oct-17 11:28:53

Not necessarily, in my experience. I did OLD after my divorce. I dated a man 12 years younger, a few my age or a year or two older and I'm now very happy with someone 6 years older.

MotherofTerror Sat 28-Oct-17 11:32:23

I'm in the same boat, single now at 58 with adult children (20 and 23) still at home during university holidays. I'm not ready to date again, and may never be. But I don't find the prospect of a man in his 70s very appealing!

Holdtightdontletgo Sat 28-Oct-17 12:18:55

I divorced at 50 and found there is lots of interest and BUT I did grow my hair and smarten myself up a bit and superficial as it sounds, it did help.

Feelingfree Sun 29-Oct-17 09:39:01

Thanks for replies. I don't think I would be attracted to someone alot older than me but you never know. Younger men may look appealing but may come with young children - as much as I love my children, I wouldn't want to go back there. OW has young child so ExH is back to all that.

I'm being too fussy I think. Will just chill out and see what happens 😀

Beentherelefthimgotthetshirt Sun 29-Oct-17 09:59:06

I'm 51 and I've had no problem finding men around my age to date - both in RL and online. I do make sure I'm well turned out though but don't post glam photos on my on-line profile as I don't want a man who's looking for a glamour-puss as I'm very natural and make-up free when at home! The on-line interest has slowed down markedly though since my age begins with a 5 but I won't lie about age. I generally initiate contact though. I make sure I'm smiley and chatty in RL too which leads to opportunities.

IrritatedUser1960 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:03:47

I've just got divorced at 56. I don't see it as "moving on" more as continuing my life without my ex husband. It is pretty much as it was before but better now.
I haven't met a quality man as yet and I'll never accept another substandard relationship, I have no fear of being alone I have lovely friends and relatives to support me.
I am happy alone but if someone fantastic came along I may rethink but I really can't see that happening. At our age there aren't many decent men left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now