Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

It was THIS big

(8 Posts)
SmartyPants0 Fri 27-Oct-17 08:45:37

I've been with my partner for 7 years, engaged for 4. He is the most kindest, generous lovely chap and I couldn't imagine life without him.

He has always exaggerated since I've know him... everything was bigger better and I always joke do we need to half and quarter this story haha sort of thing.

Lately though he seems to be exaggerating -lying- more. He helped my neighbour move a washing machine yesterday, last night I saw my neighbour and he was telling me some of the things he'd said.
Apparently my partner was involved in a fight with the salesman about his car and had given him a right pasting 😮 to my knowledge this didn't happen. Neighbour said it sounded far fetched. I was mortified. Neighbour said he'd painted a picture of him being really hard. This is a new level of exaggerating.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is do your partners exaggerate and if so how do you deal with it

gamerchick Fri 27-Oct-17 08:53:52

My ex was a jackanory as well. In the end it just got embarrassing most of the time and life affecting in others. There were no limits to the lies he would tell.

I dunno, self esteem issues?

You’ll end up feeling torn when you feel expected to ‘back him up’. Read him the riot act now and set out clear lines on where you stand with it all.

SmartyPants0 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:05:53

Thanks for replying Gamerchick.
Did you pull him up on his exaggerating?
I do... with humour... but I think now I need to be more direct.
I was mortified last night when neighbour was telling me.

gamerchick Fri 27-Oct-17 09:10:20

It’s not exaggerating, call it what it is.

Yes I did many times and I didn’t use humour. Many many people have called him out on it but he still does it even now.

Sit him down and ask him why he told a pack of lies to the neighbour yesterday and embarrassing the fuck out of you like that. Ask him what he’s playing at?

Fortheloveofdog Fri 27-Oct-17 09:12:48

Watching with interest as I have a friend like this. I really wish he wouldn't do it, there's just no need.

Jeffers3 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:13:36

My partner's best friend does this all the time. It's really obvious and I never know what to say. He said that he had head butted someone before. Which is absolutely bizzare, he's really mild, caring person and would never do that. The weird thing is, I don't know why he'd say it, it wouldn't have impressed anyone he said it to!

He says these sorts of things in front of his long term gf (about 5 years) and I always wonder why she doesn't say something later. Tell him he's great as he is and he doesn't need to do that. Me and my partner have talked about it a few times, when I was shocked after he told a group of people that he'd snapped an old man's walking stick. My partner thinks he does it because of really low self esteem.

Maybe just have a kind word with him and tell him people are noticing?

AlternativeTentacle Fri 27-Oct-17 09:14:26

No, my partner is not a compulsive liar.

Mulch Fri 27-Oct-17 09:17:12

I have a friend who is forever telling lies from where he works, what he gets up to and goes on holiday. Started to distance myself as it's bloody annoying, can't just have a conversation with him. It's sad though I think he does it to over compensate, I couldn't care less if he has a company car ext

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: