Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Telling my DC that I'm now in gay relationship

(5 Posts)
Readmeabook Thu 26-Oct-17 20:07:16

Hi,
I divorced their EA dad 2 years ago. For the past year I've been in a relationship with a wonderful woman - I'm just so amazed that there are equal, incredible relationships like this out there! (And they were there all along! Soooo glad I found out! Thanks, parents, for the dysfunction which made me believe EA was all I was worth...)
But I'd like to tell my DDs, 8 and 11. They know her very well and really like her. I suspect they know already - we're a very honest household and both DC know that there are many different kinds of family.
Anybody been there, either as an adult or a child, and any advice? Even advice on what NOT to do?
Thank you - I really appreciate it.

Santawontbelong Thu 26-Oct-17 20:10:33

My dm had a few gfs after 2 x dh! Like your situation I liked them and spent lots of time with them, 1 as a pre teen before I knew the truth about their relationship. A group of my friends saw them 'together' in the street and it hurt that she hadn't told me (going back 30 years here!). The fact that my dm was in a happy positive relationship was all that I cared about.

ReasonableLlama Thu 26-Oct-17 20:32:53

Personally I think kids these days are much more accepting of gay relationships than in the past. The kids I know don’t bat an eyelid if they see a gay couple. Much more accepting than older people I know.

If your kids are like this (which I suspect they are based on what you said) they will react as they would any other relationship. Might be good, might be bad but it would be the same it’s a woman and not a man.

Readmeabook Fri 27-Oct-17 09:22:20

Someone else said that they might find it even harder if I were introducing a man (dad replacement syndrome, etc) but I'm still looking for advice on how to get it right, how to introduce ANYONE!

Pengggwn Fri 27-Oct-17 09:32:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: