Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I have a theory anyone agree?

(5 Posts)
DoubleRamsey Wed 25-Oct-17 18:34:03

I am pretty sure I only think this because of reading mumsnet relationships.

Anyone read the Cormoran Strike series by Robert gabraith (aka j k Rowling)?

I may be wrong but I am fairly convinced she is playing out the 'slow boil' of an abusive relationship with Robin and Matthew. And how a capable, reasonable woman can get sucked in. Anyone who has read the series think his abuse is going to escalate to physical violence soon (maybe once she gets pregnant?!). There are red flags all over the place!!

Although I may be reading WAY to much into it.

SuperSkyRocketing Wed 25-Oct-17 19:03:03

I haven't read the books but watched the series the BBC did recently. I have to say I couldn't help but notice the red flags and roll my eyes as the relationship started to develop. It's the idea that this one woman can some how single handedly save this broken man, the same idea rolled out in tv and film again and again.

....but then again I could've been looking at it from my own cynical view point based on my own experience!

Regularsizedrudy Wed 25-Oct-17 19:03:40

I think you may be onto something! I like the way she has written their relationship she's not done the obvious thing of making him an out right areshole, just sprinkled in a few not quite right things so even the reader is left questioning..

DoubleRamsey Wed 25-Oct-17 19:14:21

He is getting worse with each book, which seems to follow the pattern in real life.

It's so true how the 'red flags' start small and easy to dismiss, but then the more invested you get in a relationship the worse they get.

toffee1000 Wed 25-Oct-17 22:19:36

SuperSky are you referring to Robin & Strike or Robin and Matthew?? It sounds like you’re talking about the former. I’m pretty sure there’s no romance between Robin and Strike. I don’t think Robin is trying to “save” Strike. She’s friendly with him, yes, but they work together just the two of them, they would have to at least get along otherwise Robin would’ve left pretty quickly. Matthew sounds a bit of an arse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now