Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Photos of ex,s

(16 Posts)
cuddly61 Wed 25-Oct-17 17:03:49

I’ve been with my partner about six years .yesterday I was moving my partners photos albums just flipped through them for a start but saw photos of my partners ex’s not a lot of other ex,s but this particular one I lost count of the photos after about 50 of them ,cuddling on the sofa etc and loads of this ex by herself but obvious my partner was the one taking these photos.
This ex. Is from over twenty years ago one of the photo albums was nearly full of these photos.
I did know my partner had one or two photos or so I thought just that excuse I was given ex,s was part of his life at one stage or another.
I haven’t mentioned the amount of photos I’ve seen but I’m really upset that he would bring all these photos in my house when he moved in wit( me .but what worries me is why has he held on to them for all these years.if I mention it to him he will just come out with excuses.and I know if I said to him please get shut of them he would refuse.
So am I over reacting ? How would you deal with this ?
I have never seen so many photos of just one person

Whambarsarentasfizzyastheywere Wed 25-Oct-17 17:07:59

I never throw photos away.

I don't think it's that big a deal really. That was a part of his life, it isn't like he wants them displayed anywhere.

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Wed 25-Oct-17 17:09:52

I think you're over-reacting. It was 20 years ago. I have photos of all my exes - even the ones I ended up hating! They remind me of holidays/experiences/life in general. One ex I hadn't heard from in 15 years actually got in touch with me on FB recently to ask if he could have copies of one holiday we had as he'd lost his. He's happily married with 2 kids. There is nothing funny going on. Do you normally trust him?

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Wed 25-Oct-17 17:10:18

I still have photos of my ex. He was an abusive controlling bully, but he is part of my history and that history made me who I am. The photos aren't on display, but they exist. DH burnt his wedding album after his divorce from his first wife. I was staggered at the destruction, because he was happy at the time they were taken and I think it's quite extreme to do that.

Prictoriafeckam Wed 25-Oct-17 17:13:22

I agree with wham. I have kept photos of my ex-spouse and even put a few into an album so my children can see who I was once married to. It's not all a shameful secret.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 25-Oct-17 17:13:29

Some people keep photos, believing that they document your past and should be kept for that reason. Some people prefer to get rid of them.

Neither is suggestive that they have retained feelings for the subject of the photo; or anything untoward. It would be just as easy to argue that he destroyed all the photos because if he couldn’t be with her he didn’t want to see her than it would be to argue that he kept them because he still has feelings.

I usually keep photos. It upsets me sometimes that there are very few of my childhood - not only of me, but of things I did or people I was with - and I keep them because even after break ups or house moves or job moves or whatever; even when any sentimentality is long gone, they are part of the past. They happened.

I wouldn’t be upset by the existence of this album but if you are, talk to him. Don’t let it come between you.

WinchestersInATardis Wed 25-Oct-17 17:17:47

He might not even have thought about it if they were in with other photos. Does he look at them?
I've got unnecessary photos of my exes that I haven't thrown out and have taken with when I've moved. Simply because shoving the relevant albums into a box with all my other albums was less hassle than taking the time to go through them all and separate them from photos of the same time I do want to keep.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 25-Oct-17 17:17:55

I have photos of friends, boyfriends, exes going back to the mid 70's. I've hauled them from flat to flat, moved in with the man who is now DH and have had them in every home we've had since. I paid bloody good money for processing and printing them, and I wouldn't be chucking them out for anyone.

It's a long, long time since I looked at them. And when I die, they'll probably be skipped, because they mean nothing to anyone else. But in the meantime, they're mine.

OP, if your DP were to spend an afternoon a month mooning over photos of his ex, you'd have cause to complain. But an album, stuck on a shelf somewhere? Forget it.

kimi4321 Wed 25-Oct-17 17:20:58

It must felt really awful for you .Have a good chat to your man and tell him how you feel about it.Its the past so don't get to hurt or worried.If he's any good he will reassure you.

Blackcatonthesofa Wed 25-Oct-17 17:22:33

I must have a zillion photo's of my ex. He was a huge part of my life. It doesn't mean that I'm not in love with my DH.

SparklingRaspberry Wed 25-Oct-17 17:28:36

I keep photos

If anybody asked me to get rid of them it would be a huge no no for me.

At once upon a time she was a part of his life - 20 years ago! Whether he has the photos or not he still has the memories. If he was looking at them night after night then yes I'd say there was a problem but he isn't.

CoyoteCafe Wed 25-Oct-17 17:29:26

I was with a man who flipped out about photos of my ex boyfriends, so I got rid of them. He ended up being very controlling. For me, the concern about photos was a red flag but I didn't realize it at the time.

If you don't have any other concerns, let it go.

usernameavailable Wed 25-Oct-17 17:32:15

I put a thread up about this a few weeks ago. I was totally put out and asked him to throw them. Until lovely mumsnetters put me straight. It is liberating letting go of the negative feelings towards photos of exes etc. My DPs photos are in a box put away. Honestly, I don't mind. Mnetters made me realise their past is a part of them and should be embraced

elliejjtiny Wed 25-Oct-17 17:33:19

I don't have any long term ex's but I think I've got a photo or 2 of a 15 year old me with one arm round my then boyfriend somewhere. They would be in an album but I wasn't that organised then. I like to keep photos, it's part of my history. My DC like to look through them sometimes and so do I. I found some old ones of me and dh when we were first going out recently, we looked so young back then.

EllaHen Wed 25-Oct-17 17:38:11

I think photos remind us of a time in our lives. No way should we throw out photos because an ex is in them.

In fact, it shows us in a good light if there is no animosity with an ex.

Aquamarine1029 Wed 25-Oct-17 19:22:45

You are totally overreacting, and if you demand he gets rid of them you are being controlling and unreasonable. Do you expect there to be a huge delete button that will wipe out his past because he's now with you? He has every right to hold onto old photos and keepsakes. I have a lot of stuff from old boyfriends and I would never part with it, and my husband would never ask or expect me to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now