Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Signals or not?

(12 Posts)
AutumnRose1988 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:27:10

My friend & I was chatting about something a male friend sent to her via text & lightheartedly disagreed about his intentions basically.

A male friend text my friend from abroad and just put the phrase "I wish you were here." My friend believes this to be a stock phrase (like on a postcard) but I believe it to be deeper than that & an attempt at a romantic come on from the guy...thoughts? He then did it again when she text him and he happened to be in a restaurant they had been to together but he was there for a business meeting and he text again saying he wished she was there.

Is it just me or is he trying to give her the come on & she's missing the point? She looks at me like I'm daft but I think I can sense something lol.

MissConductUS Tue 24-Oct-17 20:58:21

He might be. I know that this is painfully obvious, but sometimes that's how you need to deal with men. She should text him back and say "Really? Why do you wish I was there?".

Men do not do subtle well.

Willing2acceptAdvice Tue 24-Oct-17 21:13:33

Hi,

A mans point of view I think he is interested in your friend. That’s him trying to flirt. Some men aren’t great at it. They kinda find it awkward!

A way to check, is he puttting any kisses on the end of his messages? If she puts one does he put two?

SparklingRaspberry Tue 24-Oct-17 21:21:17

Ignore the whole kisses thing. My boyfriend and I never use kisses, in fact I don't use them for anybody and neither does he.

Personally I believe this man is trying to show signs he's interested.

Are you sure it's "your friend" and not you, OP? wink if it is you then he sounds like he's trying to tell you something!

MotherOfTwoDragons Tue 24-Oct-17 21:24:44

Are there men in this world who sign off texts with kisses?

peanut2017 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:29:25

I also would ignore the kisses 😘 at the end of texts. Sounds like there could be more to the story. Does she like him that way?

TheFifthKey Tue 24-Oct-17 21:32:38

“Wish you were here” is a breezy stock phrase. “I wish you were here” sounds a bit more sincere and definitely like a come on. But with enough wiggle room to leave him with some dignity if she doesn’t bite.

AutumnRose1988 Wed 25-Oct-17 06:13:02

Are you sure it's "your friend" and not you, OP? wink if it is you then he sounds like he's trying to tell you something!

Hehe no. Friend been out of the dating thing for a long time and now she is back in the frame of mind where she could contemplate someone finding her attractive (her confidence has took a real battering) she wondered what I thought about the texts and then seemed to back pedal when I suggested he was flirting. Maybe it's me, but I thought it was obvious flirting. Sounds like they have some underlying chemistry and neither one is actually sure whether it's there or not. If that makes sense? The holiday one I was 50/50 but then a sneaky text in business meeting? He also is planning a move abroad and asked her quite straight whether she would miss him. I think the OP who said he is doing it subtlety to give him enough wiggle room incase she doesn't bite is on the money.

TheNaze73 Wed 25-Oct-17 06:23:14

It sounds like a speculative punt rather than anything concrete, waiting for a nibble. And the kisses on texts comments are right. Wouldn’t look into them at all, mean nothing

Bruceishavingfish Wed 25-Oct-17 06:32:49

Kisses mean nothing. I have loads of frirnds that use them. Loads that dont. It doesnt mean anything really.

It sounds like he likes her and is seeing if there is any response. But if she knows him better, it may be just how he is.

JellyBean31 Wed 25-Oct-17 06:51:15

I watched "he's not that into you" yesterday. Cheesy chick flick but some sage advice if a guy wants to date you hell ask you out on a date

He might be interested in your friend, he might not be. If he is he's crap at letting her know so would she want to date someone with such crap communication skills?

I would waste anymore time wondering

AutumnRose1988 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:02:17

He might be interested in your friend, he might not be. If he is he's crap at letting her know so would she want to date someone with such crap communication skills?
I see your point, but perhaps a tad ruthless hehe It's early days and he she has been through a lot so I was thinking more that he was been gentlemanly?

I don't have any male friends so perhaps it is me that looks to much into things.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: