Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Self-centred and selfish friend. Need a rant

(5 Posts)
gordan Tue 24-Oct-17 19:40:05

Hi so I just want a rant. I've known my friend for about 12 years. Anyway before we were close. She used to ring me and chat. Then she met another lady who she became close friends with. This lady took her on holiday with her group of friends. It was the first time after my friend had split up from her hubby. I was pleased for her. However my friend used to always phone me. It was a case of how are you and then it was always about her. I used to listen to hours of this and then when it came to my turn she used to say she had to do the cooking etc. Slowly I started hating that. Then she used to always talk about this new friend and how she didn't like her and deep down didn't trust her. I used to wonder why was she still hanging out with her. I said she would have to tell this new friend she was not happy at some of the things she said and done. My friend started to distance herself from me. It was like she couldn't use my ears to mouth off about her new friend. She went on holiday with me and a few others but it was only to show her new friend she could also go with her other friends on holiday. But whilst she was on holiday all she did was bitch about everything. And she was only interested in showing this new friend and their group of friends things she said she had done but which was a lie. For example pretending she had done a sightseeing trip. I swear I could have clocked her one and my other friend found her annoying. She has never asked how I am. It's always revolves around her. She even said one of her friends puts the phone down after a bit. I wonder why.!
I feel angry that I was always there for her and yet she has now cut off contact. I have changed now. I am
More assertive to say I've got to go if she goes on and about her self and not wanting to listen to my problems.
I'm hurt but also a part of me thinks that I don't like her and at least I'm strong enough to not keep contacting her as she probably feels I don't have anyone else to talk
To. Yet she is with a bunch of newer friends who she really dislikes yet is not being honest with herself. Anyone else been in a situation like that?

rumred Tue 24-Oct-17 19:53:51

Real friendships are reciprocal. Yours never was from what you've said.
Let it go and concentrate on people you like and connect with. Forget about what she's doing, if you don't like her it's irrelevant

Flimp Tue 24-Oct-17 19:59:47

Why on earth are you still hanging out with her. What is the point?

Get rid.

Anecdoche Tue 24-Oct-17 20:04:18

she sounds a total pain.

isnt it a good thing she has moved on to other people?

gordan Tue 24-Oct-17 20:24:45

It's been quite a few months since we last spoke. We have drifted and now I'm kinda of used to it. Thanks for letting me have a rant. For some people it takes a while to be true to themselves. 👍

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now