Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Back on the scene after 10 year relationship

(10 Posts)
NameChangedAndForgotOldName Mon 23-Oct-17 22:53:40

Oh my god this is awful.
I do not know what I'm doing.
How do I work out if a man is being friendly or likes me?
I feel like a teenager again confused

crazyhairdontcare Mon 23-Oct-17 22:55:46

What are you, 12?

Go out, have fun, enjoy yourself and see what happens. Stop over analyzing.

NameChangedAndForgotOldName Mon 23-Oct-17 22:58:26

Honestly I feel like I am!
There's a bloke I like and I can't decide if he likes me or is just being friendly blush

WinchestersInATardis Mon 23-Oct-17 22:58:31

Ha ha, I know what you mean. It can be really difficult to navigate romantic stuff after you've been out of it for so long and especially if you're lacking confidence if things ended badly in your last relationship.
My advice is to take it slow and don't get too invested early on. And have fun grin

Myheartbelongsto Mon 23-Oct-17 22:58:48

Crazyhair, not nice!

It's very hard to tell op. Can you tell us more?

WhatTheChickens Mon 23-Oct-17 22:59:16

What a delightful first response...

I get where you're coming from OP, as I was in a similar position.
I nearly threw up in the taxi on my way to my first date. The first one is the worst, then you just get used to it!
Wishing you lots of luck flowers

WinchestersInATardis Mon 23-Oct-17 23:00:14

Although if you do work out how to tell the 'flirting or just being friendly' thing, please post on here because I'd love to know!

NameChangedAndForgotOldName Mon 23-Oct-17 23:03:05

I work with him and he's a bit higher up than I am so I'm worried about making an ass of myself

I saw him on a night out and ended up sticking with him (invited), he saw me to the taxi,held my hand while we walked there. We chatted,
He's awful at replying to messages tho

NameChangedAndForgotOldName Mon 23-Oct-17 23:05:06

I was single before my ex boyfriend so it's been 12 years since I had any kind of relationship with anyone but my ex, he was my friend so it just kind of happened.

This is the first time I've thought about another man since we split up in May

WinchestersInATardis Tue 24-Oct-17 07:41:46

Honestly, I think there's no way to tell just yet from what you've told us.
Him being bad at messaging might be a sign he's not that interested but some people are just bad at messaging!
There's no rush though. Keep it casual and friendly. If he is interested, an opportunity will come up while you're chatting.
e.g. "Oh you're also interested in X? Did you know there's an exhibition on..."
I will say though to be very careful if you work together and he's more senior.
I'm not claiming either of you would do anything untoward, but if you make a move and he says no, or if you date for a little while and things end, you still have to deal with the awkwardness of having to work with him every day.
Plenty of people have had successful relationships with people they've met at work but my personal rule is not to get involved with anyone I work with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now