Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Holiday alone

(22 Posts)
Starlet1 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:47:03

Oh help! I've booked a holiday on my own and I leave in a few hours! I'm terrified. Never been away on my own before. I'm scared of little silly things like finding my way round the resort, going for meals, what do I do at night. It seemed like a good idea, it IS a good idea but I am so nervous.
I am so lonely and miss my ex, well I miss the person I thought he was, I thought that a break would do me good, allow me to relax, so why do I feel so scared? Any tips please?

Insomeotheruniverse Mon 23-Oct-17 21:53:39

I did this after my split and was scared too. It was an amazing holiday though and I can't wait to do it again. Take a couple of books if it's a relaxing holiday or hire a bike and get out and about a bit if you prefer something more active. I hope you have a wonderful time. Sit back and enjoy it.

MegFlyAway Mon 23-Oct-17 21:55:10

I went to Vietnam alone after I split from DH! I've gone on a European city break on my own since too. Highly recommend it!!

userxx Mon 23-Oct-17 21:58:15

How exciting!!!!!! Have you got a kindle you can take, if not stock up on books and magazines. You are stepping out of your comfort zone which is why you are scared, I know I would be too but I would also be so proud of myself. Just wander around different restaurants and choose somewhere you feel comfortable, you will get into the swing of it after a few days. Have a fantastic time!

Starlet1 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:04:42

Thank you for your kind comments. I am slightly restricted because of my disability otherwise a bike would have have been fabulous.
Yes I have a Kindle and have packed it already.
This is probably the bravest thing I have ever done, and yes I am totally out of my comfort zone. Oh help! 😎

user1497997754 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:05:14

I have been on my holiday alone several times.....where are you going to

Starlet1 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:07:09

How did you get on? Did you meet people or were you happy with your own company? Going to Crete

user1497997754 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:09:49

That is so weird I have just come back from Crete went to a resort called Chania

Starlet1 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:10:34

What a coincidence. 😎

user1497997754 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:14:37

I have enjoyed all my holidays alone.....took good reading material....met up with lots of different people male and femail.....found a nice local taverna for drinks and food where I felt comfortable and at ease and just stayed close to where lots of people were so to stay safe

user1497997754 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:16:15

What sort off accommodation are you staying in

happypoobum Mon 23-Oct-17 22:18:47

I have holidayed alone and often travel for business alone too. I bloody love it.

Agree you need loads of books. I always find people will chat to me and I plan fun things to do as I am not really a beach/pool type person.

If you really can't face eating alone one night, just get room service, but I find waiters are really attentive to solo female diners (not in a creepy way) and you will be fine.

Have a brilliant time smile

user1497997754 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:36:56

Have a fab time give us an update when you get back take care

Want2beme Mon 23-Oct-17 23:09:31

Dont fret, just have a lovely time. I need to do this. Tell us all about it when you get back, or if you have a moment to spare in Crete.

Safe and fun journey to you flowers

dazedandconfused2016 Mon 23-Oct-17 23:24:01

I've been around the world on my own - I love it! You would be surprised how many women go on holiday alone and locals in many holiday destinations will be used to seeing a woman alone.

In fact I prefer it because then I can do what I please and I don't have to compromise on what I want to do.

I bet you will meet interesting people and have a lovely time.
All of the advice above is great. Relax and enjoy!

Blackcatonthesofa Mon 23-Oct-17 23:26:53

Ooooh fab, nice weather, nica food, relaxing, reading a good book. Honestly, single holidays are soooo nice. You can do exactly what you want. Noone else to have to compromise with. Have fun!

Dozer Mon 23-Oct-17 23:29:07

Have a lovely time!

innagazing Mon 23-Oct-17 23:37:14

I used to go on holiday on my own before I had my daughter, and always had a good time. I tended to enjoy the daytime more, and then go out to eat (with a book) and then go to bed fairly early. Although sometimes I'd meet other people and stay out late with them.

It is a brave thing to do, and it's helpful to think of it as an adventure. Well done you for doing and have a great time!

Adarajames Tue 24-Oct-17 00:09:16

Go you! Well done on being brave when having had a hard time with a break up, hope you have a totally fab time smile

Oilyoilyoilgob Tue 24-Oct-17 07:29:01

Oooh this sounds great-and well done in going! Could you maybe google solo traveller info/lonely planet guides to see if there are any great things going on? Art/museum exhibitions, painting, cooking classes etc?

Starlet1 Tue 24-Oct-17 08:08:25

Thank you my kind friends. I am on my way and excited thanks to you 😍

Want2beme Tue 24-Oct-17 10:31:01

What time's your flight? Have you checked in and are you doing some airport shopping? Get yourself a good book, a lovely cuppa, you're holiday starts here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now