Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My friend is leaving her abusive DP...

(7 Posts)
FunkyChunk Mon 23-Oct-17 10:33:08

I cannot tell you how glad I am.

They are due to get married and she disclosed to me months ago about how he is extremely verbally/emotionally abusive and at times physically abusive. It seems as if she has finally found the courage to leave him, but he is so manipulative I'm worried about her resolve. He will definitely pull the "script"... I'll hurt myself if you leave, I'll change etc.

Does anyone have any useful resources that I can pass on to her to look at/read through? Ultimately I can't make her stay away from him, I'm being supportive as possible. But I hope with some additional help she will stay strong over and above his manipulation.

Can anyone help?

Redhound Mon 23-Oct-17 10:37:14

The book which everyone mentions on here 'Why does he do that; Inside the minds of angry and controlling men' by Lundy Bancroft. Opened my eyes when I read it and definitely helped me to leave! You are a great friend!

Cricrichan Mon 23-Oct-17 10:47:07

Get her to read some posts on here. I so wish this had been around 25 years ago.

Redhound Mon 23-Oct-17 11:57:23

Yes ditto what Cricrichan said!

Redhound Mon 23-Oct-17 15:01:30

PS my ex used the script to the max; he was always pleading, begging crying and promising to change but he didn't and I stayed 15 years because I was too kind, patient and loyal. I really hope your friend is strong enough not to make the same mistake. The leaving was really hard, he would ring and wail, plead and sob, normally I would have given in as it was so upsetting. But it was worth it for a happy new life.

hellsbellsmelons Mon 23-Oct-17 16:15:21

Get her to call Womens Aid and to enrol to do the Freedom Programme.
Attend in person if she can.
If they have no kids then there is no need for contact.
Tell her to send him one last message that all communication comes through you and you can vet anything ensure she only gets texts about relevent things.
She then needs to block him on everything.
As an abuser losing his victim, he will find a way.
The book recommended above and the Freedom Programme will help her a lot along with good friends who are there for you no matter what.

Gilead Mon 23-Oct-17 16:55:50

Mine did this. He'd kill himself if I went, he'd do this, he'd do that. Actually what happened was he got himself a younger girlfriend within a couple of months (we'd been together over 20 years), learnt to cook and travel and go out for meals, things we'd never done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now