Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What does he want?

(21 Posts)
Whathappensnowthen Thu 19-Oct-17 20:08:19

I've been seeing a chap that I met online. Well, I say 'seeing'. It's more just hook-ups I guess, but we chatted a lot online beforehand and still do.

To be honest, I thought he'd be a one-off. Not that I wanted him to be (he's lovely!) but as we both have fairly complicated lives with children and exes involved I couldn't really see any future.

However, he's stayed in touch. He's not asked me out on a date, but is in touch every day asking how I am, sometimes talking about when we'll next get to meet up etc. What exactly is this? Friends with benefits? Working up to some sort of relationship? Not really sure what to make of things but don't want to scare him off if there's the chance of something a bit more meaningful. However, if he wanted to date me he could have asked, but hasn't...
Any ideas?

SonicBoomBoom Thu 19-Oct-17 20:10:27

Maybe he's not ruling out a relationship.

Or maybe he just wants sex.

Ruddygreattiger2016 Thu 19-Oct-17 20:53:17

Keeping his options open for a shag?

Whathappensnowthen Fri 20-Oct-17 10:36:44

Ah ok, I thought (hoped?) the extra effort involved in staying in touch might actually 'mean' something, but I guess that's me living in cloud cuckoo land!

TangledSlinky Fri 20-Oct-17 10:55:31

I'd say he's keeping his options open. What does he say when he's talking about when you'll next get to meet up?

SandyY2K Fri 20-Oct-17 10:56:31

Maybe he's taking time getting to know you. He obviously likes you .... just go with the flow.

NotTheFordType Fri 20-Oct-17 11:15:28

I would say FWB. He obviously likes the sex and wants there to be more of it, plus he likes you as a person (or he wouldn't be chatting so much, just sending texts when he felt like a bunk up.)

Doesn't mean it's going to go anywhere, doesn't mean it won't.

Hermonie2016 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:20:43

Have you ever been on a date with him?

I would say you are an option and he might have others on the go.Why not ask him if he is seeing other women?
If you want a relationship, not just fwb, make sure you are not settling for less as it will impact your self esteem.

cakecakecheese Fri 20-Oct-17 12:39:44

Perhaps he's just seeing how it goes. It's fine not to label things unless you really want to and then you'd need a discussion so you know where you stand, but as you say you have a lot on with kids and stuff I reckon leaving things as they are and see what happens is a good plan...

Whathappensnowthen Fri 20-Oct-17 18:31:48

Well we made plans to have a night away together tonight, but he texted me earlier to ask me to go to his instead. And he wants to cook me a meal. Please tell me this is a good sign??!!

AnyFucker Fri 20-Oct-17 18:35:26

I am not sure you are cut out for a "hook up" situation.

NotTheFordType Fri 20-Oct-17 18:35:53

I don't think any of us can tell you that. He might just want to save money on a hotel bill!

Maybe you could just casually ask something like "so if you were to describe me to your friends, what would you say? That I'm your fuck buddy?"

Actually that sounds crap. But I'm sure you could come up with something more subtle!

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Fri 20-Oct-17 18:41:55

Sounds like a bad sign to me! Rather than the expense and effort of a weekend away he's going to pop something in the oven and get a shag instead. Sorry OP, I think you need to step back a bit.

I'm not judging as I met my DP online and shagged him on day one. He was very keen and suggested dates 2 and 3, then freaked out and backed off when he thought it was getting serious. I was upset but said OK I understand. Then he realised he was being a tit and got over himself.

It seems that most men want the whole candy shop of online dating and realising they have to pick one thing scares them. Maybe if you make that one thing a bit less readily available he will decide its the thing he wants!?

Pebbles1989 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:00:12

He's hoping for more sex with minimal effort and expenditure.

Dozer Fri 20-Oct-17 19:03:29

Paying for a hotel would be OTT at this stage though.

demirose87 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:15:12

I'd say not putting all his eggs in one basket as there's other women he's chatting to/ seeing and doesn't want to lead you on by thinking there's more to it. Keeping his options open basically.

Pebbles1989 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:17:19

Then why suggest a hotel in the first place, only to cancel it?

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Fri 20-Oct-17 19:54:40

To sound like he wants to treat OP nicely , but then withdraw the offer once she agrees.

helhathnofury Fri 20-Oct-17 19:58:00

Hotel to me would say hook up, cooking you a meal is more what you would do for someone you want some sort of relationship with. But then I've never been involved in online dating malarkey. Times have a changed!

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Fri 20-Oct-17 19:58:56

Hotel to me says hook up, cooking a meal says cheap hook up!

Sunnyx Fri 20-Oct-17 20:02:03

Whatever he’s doing, doesn’t matter. If YOU like him and could potentially see it going somewhere then don’t sleep with him every time you see him. Suggest going to get something to eat and don’t go back to his. If he doesn’t contact you after that, you know what his intentions are. If he does, I would say he likely likes you too. However, if you just want a fuck buddy, keep doing what you’re doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now