Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Unfriend her on facebook?

(15 Posts)
coffeelover1 Tue 17-Oct-17 10:31:52

I was not too sure where to post this but have a big dilemma with an old school friend. We have been friends since primary school and would always go to each others houses. A few years ago I moved away with my mum and ended up getting a local job. Since I moved away we have been in touch over Facebook and I would always go down to meet her every few weeks. In the last year we have drifted apart and she has totally been ignoring me on facebook and ignoring my text messages. This has been going on for about a year and I am at a point where I am thinking I should just unfriend her on facebook. I only say this as when I log onto facebook she is always popping up and I do not see the point if she is going to completely ignore me.

Maybe I am being a bit irrational but just wondered what your perspective on this is?

hendricksyousay Tue 17-Oct-17 10:34:38

Yes , I think she has made it clear she isn’t interested . You can unfollow her if you don’t want to see her posts but she will still see yours .

debbs77 Tue 17-Oct-17 10:34:45

You're overthinking It! If you are not sure about unfriending then unfollow her

coffeelover1 Tue 17-Oct-17 10:36:08

Of course, I totally forgot about unfollowing her. I thought you had to unfriend someone to unfollow. That is a great solution.

It is a shame really, we used to be so close. I keep wondering if I did something wrong but honestly cannot think of anything that I did, other than move away from the area.

LibertyHill Tue 17-Oct-17 11:56:05

If she is ignoring fb messages but is clearly active on facebook then I would unfriend her.

Breadwithgarlicon Tue 17-Oct-17 14:06:46

It does sound like she's already unfriended you. Personally, I don't like the fake fb friends thing so would unfriend on fb too, but it's your call.

Angelf1sh Tue 17-Oct-17 15:00:37

Unfollowing sounds the hassle-free way. You don’t have to see her stuff anymore but If she changes her mind then she can still check in with you and you can decide what (if anything) you do about it.

TemptressofWaikiki Tue 17-Oct-17 23:30:03

Sometimes I feel ‘unfriending’ is far too much of a reaction and I don’t want some people to know that I am bothered in a situation similar to what you described. I ‘unfollow’ and I set it so that specific people cannot read my posts. That way, they are side-lined, can’t read what I am up to but aren’t aware of it.

snash12 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:14:15

I agree with others, I would unfollow.

It's quite mean that she has just decided to ignore you.

DonkeyPunch88 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:21:00

I’d take the hint to be honest. Sounds like she’s already done with the friendship

MinervaSaidThar Wed 18-Oct-17 12:07:31

Why wouldn't you unfriendly her?

Much better for your peace of mind to deformed her.

coffeelover1 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:51:30

I think I am trying to cling on to something that is not there. We were very close friends back in school and high school. We also stayed close even when I moved away (not too far away). I have always been there for her but I noticed that she has been ignoring me for the last yearish. I had a situation where my (now thankfully EX) kept saying that he wanted to marry me, kept taking me ring shopping, then decided he didn't "believe in marriage".... Though that stressful time I contacted her for advice and was completely ignored. Maybe I should just unfriend her. I keep trying to think if I have done anything to her but cannot think of anything. Maybe she has a new friend circle and life and does not want me in it.

M4Dad Wed 18-Oct-17 14:56:12

It may be as something as simple as her changing her mobile number and your texts are just going out into the ether.

MinervaSaidThar Wed 18-Oct-17 15:37:09

Unfriend her, delete her number. A small change but really does help psychologically, a process of letting go.

SingingSeuss Wed 18-Oct-17 15:41:40

Unfriend her. If you're worried about offending her the do a post about taking a break from FB only visible to her, then delete her. Problem solved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now