Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What now?

(12 Posts)
Takamine Tue 17-Oct-17 08:44:48

I think it is ending between me and DH.

Together 10 years, 3 DC.

I'm on to practicalities now. He said he is going to move out. He is the earner, and although I work, my wage is minimal, it wouldn't cover the rent for example.

I have been on to a benefit checker website and I can see that with everything I would be entitled to I could remain in our home with the children, however I'm unsure about time frames and the fact that we are married, will this mean I won't be able to claim?

Takamine Tue 17-Oct-17 08:54:27

I've probably put this in the wrong place!

MiniTheMinx Tue 17-Oct-17 08:59:17

Once he has moved out and you are separated you can claim. Some benefits will take into account child maintenance, others like tax credits don't.

Takamine Tue 17-Oct-17 09:03:05

Thank you for replying. I doubt he will be paying child maintenance.

Does the claim take long? I'm worried about the rent, we are on a rolling contract so if I'm late they will just boot us out.

MrsBertBibby Tue 17-Oct-17 09:12:47

Do you already get child benefit?

AtrociousCircumstance Tue 17-Oct-17 09:16:31

Why won't he pay maintenance?

FusionChefGeoff Tue 17-Oct-17 09:30:36

I read on a different thread that as soon as you decide to separate you can apply even if still living together. After all, not everyone would be able to afford to move out straight away but that doesn’t stop you being separated.

caringdenise009 Tue 17-Oct-17 09:31:59

You can apply for housing and council tax benefit in advance in some places. Call the council and ask or check the website. It's all done online here, a London borough. I'm not sure if you can apply for tax credits in advance but it's worth getting a firm date when your ex is going and giving HMRC a call to ask for advice. Sorry you are going through this.

Brahms3rdracket Tue 17-Oct-17 09:47:15

Rolling contract or not your landlord cannot just boot you out, you need to be in arrears before they can apply to the courts to start the eviction process. This takes time and hopefully you will be able to apply for housing benefit to cover this before any court orders are in place. Speak to your LL or agent and explain the situation rather than just building up arrears. Many LLs are understanding about a change in circumstance and will allow time for benefits to come through, as long as you have a good history of payment and have been good tenants to date.

Why won't your DCs father be paying child maintenance?

fedupoflivinglikethis Tue 17-Oct-17 09:50:40

Our housing benefit claim didn't take too long. It was definitely less than the 6 weeks they said it would take.

If he is the earner, could he not pay the rent until your benefits are sorted? That is where his children will be living after all!

Takamine Tue 17-Oct-17 11:02:46

He will need to fund his accommodation, he may do in time but I don't want to rely. Also I'm trying to minimise any source of aggravation to make this as easy on the children as possible, it;s going to be bad enough as it is for them.

Takamine Tue 17-Oct-17 11:18:05

Thanks everyone - I might give the council a call

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: