Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

One word XBOX

(53 Posts)
user1499288566 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:19:38

Is it okay or just pathetic of a grown man

Santawontbelong Sun 15-Oct-17 18:21:45

My exh ruined my 40 th party as he wanted the guests to go home early so he could play his new game. .
Man-child well rid of. .

ReanimatedSGB Sun 15-Oct-17 18:25:28

Lots of people like to play computer games. In itself, gaming is no more babyish or unacceptable than watching the telly or reading a book. It's only a problem when a family member is doing it so much that they are not pulling their weight in terms of domestic work/completely ignoring other family members/spending family money on the hobby so that everyone else misses out.

Aminuts23 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:26:59

Hate hate hate. My ex spent bloody hours hogging the tv with his whilst I cleaned up around him. Pathetic

QuiteLikely5 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:28:39

Depends you need to be more specific?

Turisas Sun 15-Oct-17 18:29:55

Is what pathetic? Playing it at all? Playing it for 10 hours a day? What?

MagicFajita Sun 15-Oct-17 18:30:20

It's like any other hobby and depends how grown up a person is about time spent doing it.

Selfishly cycling/running/hiking are one and the same IMO.

PashPash Sun 15-Oct-17 18:31:04

It's not pathetic, the gaming industry is growing as big as the film industry, and the majority of spend is by adults for adults. Perfectly legitimate pastime.

And equally unacceptable as any other activity if it's being used as an excuse to opt out of family life.

PNGirl Sun 15-Oct-17 18:40:40

Really pisses me off when people dismiss gaming as something only allowed to be enjoyed by teenage boys. The same women often spend hours a week in front of the TV.

Beentherelefthimgotthetshirt Sun 15-Oct-17 18:40:48

I think this is a compatibility question. A gamer wouldn't be for me but nor would someone who was scared of flying or someone who smoked. I don't believe in trying to change someone. If I got grief for knitting and sewing then they can fuck right off!

ferriswheel Sun 15-Oct-17 18:59:25

That 3d mask thing is very dangerous. Hate. Hate. Hate. My stbxh was more loyal to his computer buddies than our children.

Lagerthaisfabulous Sun 15-Oct-17 19:01:59

Totally depends.

Neither me or dh 'game'. But its the same as any hobby. Its fine unless its taking over your life or ruining relationships.

I wouldnt judge someone as 'pathetic' just because they game.

Mrskeats Sun 15-Oct-17 19:03:21

Hate gaming. Especially the way a lot of the games are so violent. I see no comparison between playing a game which involves trying to run over a prostitute and steal a car and reading.
I also see it as an excuse to take no part in family life.

Smeaton Sun 15-Oct-17 19:03:29

Immersing yourself in a fantasy world of someone else's creation... Describes video games.. And TV, movies, plays, opera, books etc.

Any hobby taken to the extreme and out before more important things is bad, doesn't matter what it is.

Offred Sun 15-Oct-17 19:04:02

It’s not gaming it’s the gamer.

As others have said if they are antisocial re their hobby then it doesn’t matter what the hobby is.

user1480334601 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:41:36

mrskeats I've read many a violent book full of serial killers etc and played many a game which involves making friends and growing a farm, so don't see how what you said makes sense? There's lots more games to choose from that grand theft auto

Mrskeats Sun 15-Oct-17 22:30:41

But have you heard anyone on here complaining that their other half spends too much time reading books? It’s always gaming. Plus it’s so expensive.

Aspieparent Sun 15-Oct-17 22:33:57

It depends on the people.
Me and dh both game. Does it take over our life no. We only game at night when dcs are in bed and asleep. Doesn't change who we are and we also don't get angry with it.

Smeaton Sun 15-Oct-17 22:52:51

Plus it’s so expensive

Compared to other hobbies, video games are one of the cheapest.
Console: £400 game £40... Done.
Cycling: bike, outfit. Trips
Fishing: rods, baits, kit, trips
Golf: clubs, membership fees, trips
Etc etc etc

People always bang on about 'violence and prostitutes and guns and blah blah blah'... Go play Minecraft. Harvest Moon. Animal Crossing. Don't judge games and gamers on a small percentage of games and gamers. You dont say all Volvo Drivers are reckless because one had an accident once...

Mrskeats Sun 15-Oct-17 23:04:44

I doubt very much gamers have one game.
I also doubt men of the men that women complain about on here are on Animal Crossing too.

scottishdiem Sun 15-Oct-17 23:14:57

Need far more context.

Playing games is not particularly problematic. No more so than the obsession some women seem to have about Claudia Winkleman and post on Mumsnet for example. I mean, what is the point of Strictly. No more or less valid than gaming as something to watch or do.

But when families are pushed out, TV resources are hogged (in those households where one TV is a financial constraint, not so really odd principle) and household tasks are neglected.

PNGirl Sun 15-Oct-17 23:24:22

No but they probably aren't on GTA either given the original is 20 years old and yet seemingly for the sneering is the bar by which all games are judged. The most popular games on Xbox currently involve football, driving, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

chipscheeseandgravy Sun 15-Oct-17 23:25:59

My partner is a gamer and always has been. He tends to play on his PlayStation once the baby is in bed and whilst I’m at work. If we’re both in on an evening he always asks if I mind him playing (he needs the main tv) but since I tend to read a book it doesn’t bother me.

It’s no more selfish him playing on the PlayStation, than me going out running or going on my bike and leaving the baby with him.

It can however, be expensive. New games £50 each, add on packs to games, new consoles and accessories can get expensive. Then if you consider the physical console and that new models are brought out every few years, you can spend a fair bit on it.

I genuinely don’t understand why people on here begrudge their partners having a hobby or doing something for themselves. It’s always classed as being selfish.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sun 15-Oct-17 23:29:20

At the moment you can get PS4s and a game for £250-300 you can play say fifa for say 100 hours a year, ( less time than what some will spend watching say eastenders) that’s £2.50-3.00 an hour, I generally play 1-2 games a year so let’s say you keep it for 3-4 years buying a new game each year that’s at most £420.00 over 4 years with 400 playing hours is £1.20 an hour so is a lot cheaper than a lot of other past time and could easily go to less than 50p an hour in comparison to how many hours some spend watching TV or doing other things.

ReanimatedSGB Sun 15-Oct-17 23:33:42

Quite a few of the sort of people who are sniffy about 'hobbies' will spend hours watching television, and even get quite whiny and footstampy if anything looks likely to prevent them from seeing their favourite show when it's broadcast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now