Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Dunno what to think

(10 Posts)
isobel79 Sat 14-Oct-17 17:29:27

Started seeing an ex again beginning June. Not confirmed as a relationship but he told me two weeks ago he loved me. I mentioned it last night to him just to see if he did mean it. Seems he did. This morning he left then text me to say thank you for everything. Everything because we had sex or that I cooked dinner. I'm so confused. He wants to see "how things go". I really care for him even after two years apart but I feel like I'm hanging on to promises when I could meet someone who I could have a brilliant future with. Wwyd?

Changedname3456 Sat 14-Oct-17 19:02:55

So you’ve been going out for about 4 months now - how long was your previous relationship with him? Why did that split up and what, if anything, has changed between back then and June/now?

Crunchymum Sat 14-Oct-17 19:04:49

I don't get it?

AdalindSchade Sat 14-Oct-17 19:10:44

'See how things go' means 'not actually in it for anything serious'

isobel79 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:06:09

On the back of the last post any other definitions /or what do people think when a partner says "see how things go"?

We were together for about 5 months previously I just don't know what to think

Schmoopy Sun 15-Oct-17 06:58:17

A partner doesn't say "see how things go" because you have already made a commitment to a 'partner'. Someone you are 'seeing' says "see how things go" when they have reservations about whether they see this as being a longer term thing or not. It's usually not.

If you only saw each other for 5 months last time, and it's confusing and non commital this time, is it worth it?

Oh and a word of advice, just because someone tells you they love you, it doesn't mean that they do. Even if they confirm it a couple of weeks later and especially if they have also said they want to "see how things go".

What does it mean? It means he wants to guarantee you'll continue having sex with him.

isobel79 Sun 15-Oct-17 15:38:30

Last Post thank you. Think I'm being blinded by the confession of love when he probably don't mean it. I'm such a sap sometimes. I just want to feel special and not used as a "humping machine" 😦

crwox Sun 15-Oct-17 16:11:07

I think it depends what went wrong last time, maybe he wants things to work out this time and not rush things - so is seeing how things go.
Only you know how you genuinely feel - if this relationship is something you truly want to pursue.

Pagwatch Sun 15-Oct-17 16:15:16

Honestly, if you are in a relationship where you are unsure whether it is love or if you are just a humping machine, I think you really should step away.
It's one thing to have doubts early in a relationship but you are so adrift it can only be battering your self esteem.

If it were me I would walk away.

isobel79 Mon 16-Oct-17 22:00:40

Thanks for the advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now