Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Who is the unreasonable one?

(41 Posts)
NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:15:25

OH's brother is getting married abroad and as usual I was left to book and sort absolutely everything including washing and ironing OH's clothes. The only thing I asked him to do was sort out the kids tablets as the charging was dodgy (asked him about a month ago).

I kept reminding him and then today he tells me he can't fix them (day before we leave). He was dropping me to the train station and because I said I was annoyed that he didn't do the one thing I asked he started roaring at me in front of the kids, calling me stupid, saying I'm causing a row and making comments about my father.

I'm furious. I'm so sick of him. I'm not even looking forward to this holiday because MIL is just like him. Was I in the wrong to expect one thing to be sorted. He just floats around detached all the time.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 10-Oct-17 08:20:08

Why has it been left to you to sort everything, do you have slave written on you somewhere?. He seems to be basically showing a lack of care for you and in turn your children, if its not "important" enough for him to do then he won't do it. He sees it as your work instead.

On a much wider level why are you with this person at all, what does this man actually bring to the table?. I would seriously consider your future at all within this because you are in for more of the same, such men who float around detached all the time do not change and make for being crap relationship material. And in his case too like mother, like son.

Is this really the role model of a relationship you want to be showing your children?.

Blanca87 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:21:05

Stop being a martyr, let him sort his shite out. You will feel better and he can reskill as a functioning adult.

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:46:54

AtillaTheMeerkat,
I'm always left to sort things out. DD is undergoing assessments now for possible SPD/ADHD and he doesn't even ask how her appointments go. He's only interested in if they affect his work.

I am trying to get myself a bit more financially sustainable. I thought I could wait another year but I'm so upset today.

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:51:45

Blanca87,

Yes you're right. He is good with the kids in that he'll get them up for school and bring them out at weekends but he's so angry and snappy all the time. And so detached from them

AngelsSins Tue 10-Oct-17 16:30:36

Can you drop out of going to the wedding and leave OH with the kids to go? That might give you time to have a long hard think about what you're getting out of this relationship. He clearly has no respect for you.

You also need to stop doing things for him, why should you? Because you were born female and his magical penis is a free pass from behaving like a parent and partner?

winterwinter Tue 10-Oct-17 20:09:23

Seriously don’t go to the fucking wedding, pack his shit and leave it on the doorstop for when he returns. The fact he hasn’t been interested in your daughters health is TERRIBLE

MinervaSaidThar Tue 10-Oct-17 20:18:41

I agree with winter

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Tue 10-Oct-17 21:14:56

I can't drop out of the wedding unfortunately. The kids are going too and it would break their hearts if I didn't go. I wouldn't like to leave them with him and his family for 5 nights either.

It's very upsetting that he's no interest in her appointments. He's so detached from it all. She had a hearing test last week and it took him 2 days to ask.

DownTownAbbey Wed 11-Oct-17 07:19:00

I get why you feel obliged to go ahead with this wedding. I'm also glad you're planning your escape. Keep your powder dry and get yourself into every one of the wedding photos. Something for them to remember you by in the decades to come grin

Hermonie2016 Wed 11-Oct-17 07:53:06

Is he detached or just selfish?

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Wed 11-Oct-17 09:15:01

DowntownAbbey - that made me smile. I'll photobomb a lot of the pictures! I'm just going to concentrate on the sunshine and the kids

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Wed 11-Oct-17 09:20:40

Hermione - he's both. This morning I woke up and did something to my neck. I don't generally suffer with my neck/back but I aggravated it at the weekend. He was only concerned about how it affected him and gets angry because I'm not feeling great. He reluctantly said he would bring DD to her assessment but was moaning because he hasn't had a shower etc. Not that I'd let him bring her because he doesn't have a clue about what's going on in her life. But everything is related back to how it affects him.

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Wed 11-Oct-17 09:20:56

Hermione - he's both. This morning I woke up and did something to my neck. I don't generally suffer with my neck/back but I aggravated it at the weekend. He was only concerned about how it affected him and gets angry because I'm not feeling great. He reluctantly said he would bring DD to her assessment but was moaning because he hasn't had a shower etc. Not that I'd let him bring her because he doesn't have a clue about what's going on in her life. But everything is related back to how it affects him.

Hermonie2016 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:22:24

Its not unreasonable to ask him to sort tablets, it's not unreasonable to be frustrated that he didnt do it.

It's highly unreasonable that he yelled at you.He did it to shut you up.

You are not responsible for his detached or selfish behaviour.He chooses his behaviour.

Does he ever apologise?

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Sat 14-Oct-17 12:35:06

Hermione,

He would apologise but would say he only did it because I did X, Y and Z

bastardkitty Sat 14-Oct-17 12:38:03

That's not really an apology then.

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Sat 14-Oct-17 12:40:13

Quick update. The last few days have been okay. The wedding is today and he's been fussing over the speech. His family don't communicate well and basically he didn't know he'd to do one until yesterday.

So he asked for my help and I said no. The reason I said no is because he would start putting down every suggestion I make. I texted my sister to express my frustration and he read it and texted something nasty about me.

When I kept refusing to help with the speech is called me a c*nt and stamped on my toe. He said stamping on my toe was a mistake and he didn't mean it. This was done in front of the kids. He's now giving me the silent treatment.

MIL has been behaving herself which is good.

springydaffs Sat 14-Oct-17 14:04:26

When you get home, book into the Freedom Programme. You'll recognise him there.

I mean it. Book a place on that course xx

HarmlessChap Sat 14-Oct-17 14:51:54

FFS the man is an utterly selfish twat. I hope you meet someone decent when you leave him.

Moanyoldcow Sat 14-Oct-17 19:33:52

I've been with my DH for 12 years. We can irritate each other like all couples but he would never dream of speaking to me like that. Never. He sounds lazy and unpleasant and I couldn't be with someone like that and you shouldn't either.

Do you want your children growing up thinking the way he treats you is acceptable? To behave like him? That's what will happen.

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:02:49

Springydaffs - I'll definitely look into that when I get home. He is so charming to everyone I'm afraid nobody will believe me when I tell them stuff.

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:06:35

Harmlesschap,

He is so selfish. He spent all yesterday morning stomping around mins mood and telling me I was causing a fight.

I don't know if I'd ever have any interest in meeting anyone after him. I think I'd rather stay in my own, that way I can't get hurt.

NK1cf53daaX127805d4fd5 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:09:04

Moany - I want my kids to have a good role model for a parent. That's why I'm leaving DH. Thankfully my DS is turning out to be a gent with lovely manners. Something his father definitely isn't

Cambionome Sun 15-Oct-17 08:11:30

God - he sounds absolutely awful. As soon as you get home, start sorting everything out. See a solicitor, start getting paperwork together and maybe start a list of all his awful behaviour. This will bolster you if you start wondering if you've imagined it all in the future.

Good luck. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now