Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

OLD - why is it....

(20 Posts)
ShirleyValentine74 Tue 10-Oct-17 07:58:10

All the profile pictures of the men are either riding a bike, climbing up a hill, white water rafting, bungee jumping or doing all outdoor pursuits, but when you go out on real life they're just sat in the pub watching footie??

Crumbs1 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:02:21

Well mine doesn't have a profile picture but he never sits in the pub watching football. Whilst I lie in bed with a mug of tea he is out on an eight mile run with the dog. He does that very morning he's at home.
If he had one he'd be running through the woods or jumping a fallen tree.
He's proper old. In his 50s.

Zaphodsotherhead Tue 10-Oct-17 09:32:00

I guess it's hard to get a mate to get a snap of you looking your best if you're wearing a pizza-stained Man U shirt and holding a pint?

TangledSlinky Tue 10-Oct-17 11:11:25

I promise they're not all like that. DP's profile pic was of him skiing I think and mine was of me eventing. We're both still pretty active, ski in the winter with friends, sail in the summer and he mountain bikes whilst I'm up with the horses during the week/weekend. He doesn't do football, although you'll find us both in the pub when the rugby is on!

BubblingUp Tue 10-Oct-17 11:12:10

In my age group 50+ they are trying to prove they are "young at heart" and their desire to attract a 27-year-old woman is completely reasonable.

User7628 Tue 10-Oct-17 11:42:15

You could say the same about a lot of women! Profile pic and description to die for, reality is watching Holby City in PJ's.

People over exaggerate to get what they want!

hellsbellsmelons Tue 10-Oct-17 11:49:22

OMG I hear you!
Swipe left at any of these.
I do NOT want to see you in lycra!!
Yeuk!

dailydance Tue 10-Oct-17 13:28:17

In my age group 50+ they are trying to prove they are "young at heart" and their desire to attract a 27-year-old woman is completely reasonable.

grin they make me laugh too. The topless photos are always cringe worthy and reek of desperation

winterwinter Tue 10-Oct-17 20:11:17

I think they all have a stock of photos from the ONE time they went rock climbing in Greece 15 years ago. I don’t know, maybe they think women go for the athletic look? Personally it would be a turn off, I hate these types of sport.

Beentherelefthimgotthetshirt Wed 11-Oct-17 01:13:17

My selection tend to be holding fish, sitting astride a powerful machine or leaning against a high-performance car they could only fantasise about owning...

RoseOfSharyn Wed 11-Oct-17 02:46:40

If you look at OLD 'advice' online, a lot will say 'put a photo of you doing something fun and exciting on your profile'.

I suppose we are all supposed to be sucked in by the adrenaline junkie alpha male thing....hmm I'd prefer a photo of a bloke dossing about in his star wars pjs with a slice of pizza in hand to be honest. grin

Klaptout Wed 11-Oct-17 03:15:47

Posing with car motorbike or proudly hold aloft a fish.
They always say their perfect Sunday would be fishing or football.
Or going out for a walk in the country then a country pub lunch.
I should find the county lanes littered with single Man, Ive not met any this way.
I don't know which photos are worst as the face gurning achieved by selfies is pretty bad.
I think I'm destined to be single.

RoseOfSharyn Wed 11-Oct-17 04:42:22

Klaptout I'm with you....

My ideal Sunday is getting pissed in my local, watching the F1 and a dirty kebab on the walk home. Then a bath and early night.

Blokes seem to feel the need to over-compensate with all these 'leisurely walks' and shit.
But then women who actually like sports and beer get tarred with the 'cool girlfriend' brush.
It's a lose/lose situation. I prefer actually talking to people.

mogulfield Wed 11-Oct-17 04:56:53

Most of my friends are quite outdoorsy and hate football (although all do like the pub). My profile picture for a while was me skiing, but I do love skiing! Also had one of me climbing (I love climbing).... I suppose it weeds out the people who want to stay indoors, and spend weekends shopping. That’s not me, I want to head off to the hills! So if my profile picture puts them off that’s good smile

DameXanaduBramble Wed 11-Oct-17 05:16:01

@crumbs1 - I think you may have got the wrong end of the thread. It did make me laugh though!

HellAintABadPlaceToBe Wed 11-Oct-17 05:16:29

Oh god it’s not just me!

I’m with Rose, I’d prefer the bloke in his Star Wars PJs with the slice of pizza!

I AM Bridget Jones - only older and fatter!

RoseOfSharyn Wed 11-Oct-17 05:22:36

Hell I hope Mr Star-wars-and-pizza is bearded and has a bit of a belly too.
I really don't want a lot....just a hairy geek who loves his food! winkgrin

MegFlyAway Wed 11-Oct-17 07:48:28

I'm personally a lot more attracted to someone that looks to be making the most of life and not just 5 photos all selfies of themselves! My photos show me travelling and doing my hobbies.

Ellisandra Wed 11-Oct-17 07:58:21

I do various outdoor sports. When I was OLD I was definitely attracted to those with photos of them doing similar. But when they messaged me, I'd always say something like "love your ski photo - what was your last ski trip?". Most could talk about recent and repeated incidences of their sports.

I definitely agree with the rock climbing once in Greece 15 years ago comment! But that's not my experience of the majority. A lot of people really do ski / climb / run / bike.

Shayelle Wed 11-Oct-17 08:01:28

Hilarious thread grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now