Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Went on a date and I'm not sure if he likes me?

(193 Posts)
gaynor83 Mon 09-Oct-17 10:50:01

We have been communicating for quite a while via Facebook and decided to meet.
I went to visit him and meet for drinks. We seemed to get along really well and the conversation flowed.we did kiss and there seemed to be an attraction. He suggested that we spend the following day together too. We ended up having a nice day, he cooked for me. When I left we hugged and it was slightly awkward I wasn't sure what to do. But it seemed ok.
When I got home I texted to say thank you for the date and I had a good time.
His reply came this morning, he said "Glad you had a good time and got back safely. I am knackered too. You are welcome and were a good guest. Glad we met x
What do you make of that?
I'm not sure if he is keen or not and it seems not to need a response. ?

lookatmenow Mon 09-Oct-17 10:52:47

maybe - yeah me too, speak soon take care x

Trills Mon 09-Oct-17 11:06:02

I think the answer is "you don't know yet".

Do you like him? If you do, text him later. If you don't, don't.

Onecallaway Mon 09-Oct-17 11:14:31

Hmm I think that's a polite message but slightly on the cool side eg nothing about seeing you again. I would just see what he does next.

Annabelle4 Mon 09-Oct-17 11:16:28

Maybe he's leaving it open to you?

I'm hopeless though at reading situations and people confused

scoobydoo1971 Mon 09-Oct-17 11:28:36

It could mean a gentle let down, but it could be that he is playing it cool to spare his feelings in case you don't fancy him...best to reflect on what was said during the date. This is 2017 so you can ask him to go out for a drink now you have met him...his response will tell you clearly.

Gimmeareason Mon 09-Oct-17 11:42:46

Doesnt sound like theres much to second guess.
Your next move is to do some suggesting. "Hope you got some rest. Would be great to hang out again soon, what do you reckon to (insert cinema/pub/whatever)?"

gaynor83 Mon 09-Oct-17 12:21:53

I'm just confused. I really did like him and I thought the feeling was mutual.
I would like to see him again. But I do think his message was cool and I thought he might have suggested meeting again. Or is it too soon? I never date so I really don't know how to go on 🤔

Angelf1sh Mon 09-Oct-17 12:26:00

Glad we met sounds like a goodbye to me. If you like him then I'd suggest another date later this week and see if he responds. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't though.

MargoLovebutter Mon 09-Oct-17 12:29:11

I would spare yourself the agony of wondering & text him this evening along the lines of - "I'm glad we met too. Do you want to meet up again?". Then you'll know one way or another.

Teddy7878 Mon 09-Oct-17 12:31:26

Maybe text him tonight or tomorrow and say "fancy seeing such and such film at the cinema this week" or "fancy grabbing a bite to eat soon?"
If he's keen he'll obviously say yes. If he says he's busy or makes up some excuse then don't text him again until he gets back in touch. If he doesn't text again by the end of the week then I'd just forget about him and move on.
It's gutting when it happens but there is always someone else

NikiBabe Mon 09-Oct-17 12:36:58

That line along with keep in touch are usually brush offs.

I personally wouldn't ask him again to meet. See what he does.

Imonlyfuckinghuman Mon 09-Oct-17 12:41:14

Do you want to see him again?

If so just bite the bullet.

'Yes me too, fancy meeting up at the weekend?'

That message can be read two ways depending on the tone you read it in.

The one good thing me and dh did when we first met was to just be honest with each other. No playing games or waiting for a suitable length of time to text back.

If he likes you he will say yes. If he makes you wait for answer or doesn't send a clear YES/NO then move on. I would t be waiting till the end of the week either. People check there phones multiple times a day - if they want to reply they will!

So glad I'm not part of the dating game anymore, too much time wasted on men who thought they called the bloody shots!

gaynor83 Mon 09-Oct-17 12:45:15

Yes dating is just awful isn't it. The second guessing is unbearable sometimes. I did read the message as a polite brush off to be honest. Not sure if I should message again. I don't want to seem keen if he isn't. I just didn't think he sounded enthusiastic at all.

LexieLulu Mon 09-Oct-17 12:46:29

I think there's far too much time spent trying to read into messages, when most of the time blokes aren't trying to be mystical. They just say answers to the points made in previous messages.

I would do as suggested above and just suggest the next date, maybe something on the lines of "you've set the bar high, I'll have trouble beating this when I cook for you, when do you fancy it?"

LexieLulu Mon 09-Oct-17 12:47:24

If he doesn't respond, there's your answer and you shrug it off and carry on xx

M4Dad Mon 09-Oct-17 12:47:51

"Glad we met" doesn't seem like a brush off to me, not at all.

Dieu Mon 09-Oct-17 12:54:30

That doesn't have the same ring as 'I'm really glad that I've met you', or words to that effect. It does sound a bit cool.
I would reply with: 'me too. And let me know if you'd like me to cook for you sometime. Thanks again for a lovely meal'.
Good luck! It's a bloody minefield, it really is.

HotNatured Mon 09-Oct-17 12:54:40

Hard to tell but I would not be asking him out, I don't care if it's 2017, don't chase him, send him a nice short text back saying, 'same here, I had a lovely date'. and leave it at that. If he's interested he'll ask to see you again.

However, the awkward goodbye doesn't sound too promising to be honest.

If a guy likes you after having spent quite a bit of time with you on the first meeting, he would be talking about where you will go on your next date.

Dating isn't awful if both people are into each other and aren't afraid to show it.

Trills Mon 09-Oct-17 13:00:20

It's the next morning.

Maybe he doesn't want to meet again.
Maybe he does want to meet again, but thinks that the next morning is too soon to bring it up.
Maybe he does want to meet again, but is unsure whether you do and is waiting for you to bring it up.

If you like him, message him.
If you want to meet up, suggest it.

If he doesn't want to meet up, you haven't lost anything.
If he does want to meet up, you'll get what you want.
If he did want to meet up but is put off by you suggesting it, you had a lucky escape there

ladystarkers Mon 09-Oct-17 13:01:08

If you like him suggest another date. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

userxx Mon 09-Oct-17 14:05:21

Just text and ask if he wants to meet up again soon - that way you will get your answer and it saves on the over analysing. What have you got to lose?

gaynor83 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:40:03

I guess I'm just a little disappointed he didn't suggest meeting again, as I thought he seemed to enjoy my company and wanted me to stay longer. Hmm. I really don't want to come over as too keen. I thought maybe I could reply later and say something along the lines off, "maybe see you again sometime" ...do you think?

gaynor83 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:42:08

When we were together yesterday, he said consider this out second date...he talked a lot and seemed like he wanted me to be there.
I'm just wondering if I came across wrong in some way

Desmondo2016 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:43:29

He's probably trying to play it cool too. Just ask him out! 'Let me know if you fancy doing something again soon'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now