Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Asking questions - odd or nice?

(8 Posts)
BookyBook Mon 09-Oct-17 09:33:51

I know there have been a few threads about this recently but am interested in views on this one - someone that you are not in a relationship with always asking questions about things in your past/your stories.

Examples from the past week include:
- I mentioned I saw an ex. They ask - which one was that? What happened?
- I allude to something that happened years ago in passing and they say - that sounds like I story I haven't heard
- Someone makes a comment on FB about a party I attended, I then get a message - what happened at the party? Were there any hookups? Then when told no, asking - I feel like there's something you're holding back from me.

There are more but these are just the most recent. Red flag/odd or just nice interest?

AlternativeTentacle Mon 09-Oct-17 09:36:23

Odd, I'd have responded 'what's it got to do with you exactly?' by now, and probably moved on. Nothing to see here.

Anatidae Mon 09-Oct-17 09:37:29

If it makes you uncomfortable it’s a red flag.

Is this someone who could potentially be a partner rather than will always be a friend? Eg for me a female friend asking this would just be nosy. A bloke who I suspected was interested would be more than nosy and into intrusive

BookyBook Mon 09-Oct-17 09:41:09

It's a bloke!

It's just odd is all. I'm not used to getting these sort of questions.

Zaphodsotherhead Mon 09-Oct-17 09:41:48

It depends on the context. If it's a man that you are interested in, but who hasn't asked you out - are you maybe reading things into his questions that you hope might be an expression of interest? Sometimes people just ask questions for something to say.

My kids use 'that sounds like a story we haven't heard' in a sarcastic way, when someone is repeating themselves or saying something they aren't interested in, so be careful.

BookyBook Mon 09-Oct-17 09:43:31

If it's a man that you are interested in, but who hasn't asked you out - are you maybe reading things into his questions that you hope might be an expression of interest?

Ha - perhaps!

Angelf1sh Mon 09-Oct-17 10:03:59

Asking which ex might be simply showing interest in you /the conversation and I'd consider that a normal comment. The bit about the party though, that's just odd. What's it got to do with him? If you are holding something back, you're perfectly entitled to do so and pressing you on it is just intrusive. I'd be stepping back from whatever kind of friend/relationship this is.

Trills Mon 09-Oct-17 10:05:43

I feel like there's something you're holding back from me.

The rest might just be a slightly awkward attempt to make conversation but this is weird - what are they accusing you of?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now