Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Leaving husband

(7 Posts)
Anxiousspider Thu 05-Oct-17 10:39:17

Hi everyone, I'm quite new to this so I hope I'm doing it right. I need some advice/reassurance. I have realised over the last few months that my husband is emotionally abusive and controlling. I've know he was controlling for a few years but it has all really hit home recently. I have 2 amazing friends who are supporting me through this as I plan to leave, but I'm really worried about what will happen when I go and how he will react (obviously he will be very angry). He has moved me and our 2 DCs far away from my family so I'm planning to go back and stay with relatives. I'm sure he'll figure out where we've gone pretty quickly. What can I do if he turns up banging on the door? Just phone the police? How did any of you deal with this situation. I don't want to be trapped in the house for the foreseeable future. Is he going to carry on trying to control me for the rest of my life?

cherrycola2004 Thu 05-Oct-17 14:52:22

No advice but bumping this thread up. If he comes to your relatives door then yes, do not open it and call the police.

MrsBertBibby Thu 05-Oct-17 15:23:48

Can you get a solicitor lined up for when you get there, so you are ready for ang proceedings?

How old are the children? How far is far?

CockacidalManiac Thu 05-Oct-17 16:02:15

Anxiousspider Thu 05-Oct-17 16:32:06

DCs are 3 and 6. Planning on seeing a solicitor when we get there. Far as in 500 miles but still within the uk, not far enough to stop him driving there. Thanks for the woman's aid link I have contacted them, they said I could contact the police when we get there to let them know the situation. I'm probably overthinking things, I suppose I'll just need to deal with it as it happens. It's just so scary.

MrsBertBibby Thu 05-Oct-17 16:35:44

Are you moving to or from Scotland? Or within England and Wales, or within Scotland.

If you move the children without his agreement from one UK jurisdiction to another, any court proceedings will take place in the original jurisdiction (ie where he lives)

Anxiousspider Thu 05-Oct-17 17:35:22

Yes, I'm aware of that. I've been in touch with a local agency that should be able to put me in touch with a solicitor here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: