Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I'm confused

(7 Posts)
Madhousemam Mon 25-Sep-17 18:31:00

Hello this is my first time I have posted on hear I'm so sorry to trouble you all just a quick question what in simple terms are the signs of a narcissistic (sp) please

CoyoteCafe Mon 25-Sep-17 18:34:26

There is a good web site called Out of the fog. Lots of info there.

Madhousemam Mon 25-Sep-17 18:35:41

Thank you I'll look that up I have had a scan through the Internet but it was a little confusing

CoyoteCafe Tue 26-Sep-17 02:16:18

Here is a link to the page on Out of the Fog that is specifically about NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder).
outofthefog.website/personality-disorders-1/2015/12/6/narcissistic-personality-disorder-npd

Here is the definition from the DSM:

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
- has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
- is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
- believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
- requires excessive admiration
- has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
- is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
- is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
- shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

I'm not sure what is going on for you. For me, it was another woman who I thought was my friend, but ended up driving me to a near mental breakdown. It was several years ago, and I still can't explain it all. There was so much lying and manipulation that at the end, I wasn't sure what was real any more.

Offred Tue 26-Sep-17 03:49:51

Narcissism is a spectrum. Most people have at least some 'narcissistic' (self obsessed) traits but to be diagnosable with a personality disorder such as NPD you need to be really quite extreme along the scale. NPD is rarely
Diagnosed as 1. NPD rarely seek help and 2. The traits required for diagnosis are quite extreme and are shared with other PD.

Narcsite.com is also good (and scary) if you have been burned by someone with these traits IMO.

AfunaMbatata Tue 26-Sep-17 06:04:57

What's the point of looking it up really? If someone is horrible to you or others and you don't like their behaviour then bin them.

CoyoteCafe Tue 26-Sep-17 12:08:40

When I was chewed up by a narcissist, I needed to make sense of what had happened. I had been lied to, gaslighted, manipulated. I needed to figure it out to have peace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now