Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I sent his engagement ring back...

(17 Posts)
ukulelelady Mon 25-Sep-17 15:01:21

Long story short, I split up with my fiancé. I offered to return the ring, he said to chuck it away or sell it and donate to charity. I said I'd hold onto it until he knew what he wanted to do with it.

Last week I got bombarded with phone calls one of them he said I'd really dropped him In the shit and could I return the ring. I sent it recorded delivery and asked him to let me know when it arrived. I texted him today to see if he'd got it, he said he hadn't but would let me know when he did. I tracked it via Royal Mail and see that he signed for it and received it at midday. Now I'm just waiting to see how this pans out and if he is going to lie to me that he got it. Maybe he is busy and couldn't spare 5 mins to say got it. I hope he's not going to be dishonest about this! What should I do?

Lumpylumperson Mon 25-Sep-17 15:03:06

Screenshot the tracking showing as delivered.

Why would he lie? Does he have form for this?

I'm fairly sure that an engagement ring is a gift, therefore he can't demand it back anyway.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:04:12

Don't do a damn thing. You have proof that he's signed for it, so there's no way he can lie and say he doesn't have the ring.

Lumpylumperson Mon 25-Sep-17 15:04:24

Meant to add, could it be that he's just busy? How about texting him and saying something along the lines of 'I see from the tracking website that you've received the ring. Glad it arrived safely.'

Aderyn17 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:05:21

You don't have to do anything. Keep the postal receipt, which proves it was sent and signed for. Everything else is his problem - if he lies tell him you can see it was delivered and then block his number/ignore him.

Therealslimshady1 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:07:09

Do nothing except screenshot the signed-for receipt

Cheeseandwin5 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:12:07

I know people are saying do nothing and they are correct but until the matter is resolved, it will always play on your mind.
Send him the screenshot an d tell him to confirm receipt.
Its not about being right and wrong but just about concluding the matter.

namechanger2735 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:14:22

I'd just send him a screenshot and say "I see you've received your delivery. All the best"
That way he doesn't get to drag it out and leave you waiting to hear from him, or try anything!

HailLapin Mon 25-Sep-17 15:16:52

What Name changer said. Then get on with your life. Congratulations op , you are free.

Tameagobairanois Mon 25-Sep-17 15:19:05

I agree with the poster who said Don't do a damn thing

You have a screen shot. Now forget it! He was trying to drag you in to drama......

gamerchick Mon 25-Sep-17 15:21:49

Na I would close this one. Message him and say you can see from tracking that he has his ring back. Wish him well and say goodbye. He can't come back with anything and won't have a reason to get back in touch.

Good luck.

eddielizzard Mon 25-Sep-17 15:24:44

do absolutely nothing. and an engagement ring is a gift. who the hell demands it back?? is he going to give it to the next poor woman? confused

think you dodged a bullet there.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:27:15

I stand by my advice of don't do a damn thing. He knows you know he had to sign for the ring. I doubt he's so stupid he hasn't figured this out. He's probably wanting you to contact him. Don't keep playing his game. If he texts or calls (don't answer), that he didn't receive the ring, text a screenshot of the receipt and that's it - no words, no conversation.

PinkHeart5913 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:27:22

You do nothing

You have proof it was signed for so no need to text him and ask again or anything.

It's done, no more textung required, move on with your day

Tameagobairanois Mon 25-Sep-17 15:28:36

Yes, it sounds like he's desperate for contact even if it's the form of drama and a row.

Classic manoeuvre!

ukulelelady Mon 25-Sep-17 16:54:43

He could have been busy or he could have been causing drama, either way he sent me a message to say he'd got it.
Think I was holding onto the tracking info in case he outright lied and said he didn't get it but it wasn't necessary. Thanks for your comments.

TheNaze73 Mon 25-Sep-17 17:20:53

I think morally if you get married & then split, you keep the ring, it you don't make it to marriage, you return it. In the grander scheme of things, being a fiancé means the square root of fuck all.

You did the right thing OP. Best of luck for the future flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now