Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Not sure i love him... do you really "just know" when you're in love

(46 Posts)
Whatdoidowhatdoido7 Sat 23-Sep-17 17:08:10

Ive been with someone over a yr.. we dont live together. Ive never really felt butterflies. I like spending time with him but dont miss him loads when apart. When i think about it he doesnt make me laugh! He can be annoying moaning hes tired (single guy works from home). I have a child and commute full time to work.

Sometimes he just irritates me lol.. i dont always like his sense humour... occasionally takes mick out of me or jokingly says "greedy bitch" if say took 2 sweets... or comments on tv "oooooh yeh" if hot woman comes on.. i then end up pissed off with him for days. We split up then got back together after he promised to "try" ot to make these comments. Hes got better but still slips up! Hes also a little arrogant..admits it and says he likes it!

Hes never really treats me.. a night away or flowers etc. He earns alot but likes everything 50 50. Overall im just not sure hes "the one". But then hes loyal and wants same from life as me. No one is perfect but surely in the beginning i should have felt "head over heels"?. Ive bern on dating sites or just waited patiently to meet the one but years n years ive never met "the one".. i know single us better than with wrong man but i do want more kids. Maybe i just set sights tooo high and need to just get on with someone whos good enough albeit not perfect...

How many of you "settled"? . Im 35... not getting any younger!

SleepingStandingUp Sat 23-Sep-17 17:12:08

I don't know that I was head over heels but I felt contentment with now DH from very early on. Living together and engaged by 6 months, married at 18 months. I was 29 when we got together, he was 36. Neither of us had kids. So sometimes I think I just thought ok this is ok right now lets go it.
But he didn't annoy me, wasn't arrogant, didn't have to change himself to make me hhappy.

How is he with your Dd?

Sorry but if what you want to have more kids etc I think you need someone else

whirlyswirly Sat 23-Sep-17 17:12:55

It doesn't sound like you like him much, never mind love him.

Knock it on the head now, you're still young, he sounds a tosser and I'm sure you can do very much better.

darceybussell Sat 23-Sep-17 17:21:54

I don't think I ever felt totally head over heels, I just gradually grew to love DH, but we were only teenagers when we got together so I guess that's a bit different.

okthen Sat 23-Sep-17 17:25:33

How he is as a person is how he will be as a dad. Something to think about. Good luck x

bianglala Sun 24-Sep-17 00:00:34

You are settling, don't. 35 is not old at all to look for a better man.

userxx Sun 24-Sep-17 00:09:12

The bit that stands out for me is he doesn't make you laugh. I just couldn't be with someone who I couldn't have a good laugh with. I don't think this is the man for you and deep down you know it yourself.

peachgreen Sun 24-Sep-17 00:13:08

Yes, I knew straight away that DH was the one for me, and he felt the same. Moved in together after 3 weeks of dating, married within 2 years. Blissfully happy and can’t believe I ever settled for anything less. You shouldn’t either. Quite aside from not knowing how you feel, he sounds like a bit of a pillock.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 24-Sep-17 00:14:44

I am sure we all have things that annoy us but no... I don't think he is the right man for you op. It isn't love.

You know, be happy for the time shared but I'd set my sights a bit higher and someone a bit more worthy of you

The greedy bitch comment says a lot about him. Ughh

Justaboy Sun 24-Sep-17 00:17:36

I thunk that some people have all the luck in relationships and some just don't.

I wonder how this might pan out if you did live together?, any chace you could try that for a while?.

Cat2014 Sun 24-Sep-17 00:19:08

Don't settle, I'm 36 and met the love of my life last year and cannot believe i would have settled for anyone less perfect for me though I possibly would have, they are out there

ElmerFudge Sun 24-Sep-17 00:31:57

I knew straight away with DH. But I didn't experience the butterflies / lust / obsession that I'd had with previous men. It was a totally different feeling. The main thing was that we "got" eachother.
Having kids didn't enter into it for me, being with the right guy was more important. I know friends who settled, and post-children the marriage is rocky...
I did once go out with a fella who I didn't like that much, there was no connection. And he got on my nerves! He was a safe bet but I just couldn't keep it up...
And I did also go out with a few nice guys that I could have married. But I just didn't fancy them. Whatever the "thing" is, it has to be there.
DH isn't perfect, and I thought long before marrying him, but he's "the one" I suppose!

LellyMcKelly Sun 24-Sep-17 03:15:27

I knew straight away. It was like coming home. I sometimes call him my docking station. Just being with him makes me feel wrapped in love. He makes me feel energised and relaxed, and cared for, and safe. Two and a half years in, and I still get weak kneed. Don't settle.

SoftlyCatchyMonkey1 Sun 24-Sep-17 03:58:46

Would you really want to spend the rear of your life with someone who doesn't make you laugh?

Hairq Sun 24-Sep-17 06:47:57

Would you choose him as a friend? It sounds as if you don't even like him, which suggests to me that you're never going to love him. I wouldn't settle.

bianglala Sun 24-Sep-17 09:52:07

It was like coming home. I sometimes call him my docking station. Just being with him makes me feel wrapped in love. He makes me feel energised and relaxed, and cared for, and safe.

^ This. Absolutely.

TwitterQueen1 Sun 24-Sep-17 09:56:33

He's not the one for you OP and you're not in love.

Summerswallow Sun 24-Sep-17 09:59:58

This sounds awful- why would you want to hang out with someone who annoys you, doesn't make you laugh and doesn't give you butterflies/isn't that hot?! I'd really rather be single. Every moment you spend with him, it's time you could be out there finding someone really nice to spend your life with- I'd get shot and get out there very quickly, not leave it to drift on for years and then miss any opportunity to have children (which sounds like your worry). If you don't want children things are less urgent, but I still don't see why you are with a guy you don't actually like very much.

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Sun 24-Sep-17 14:07:55

I'd rather be single than be with someone like him and, no, I don't think he's your "Mr Right". He sounds shite. No way would I put up with being called a bitch or be with someone who "would try" not to comment on how sexually attractive he finds other women.

Justaboy Sun 24-Sep-17 14:37:12

Whatever the "thing" is, it has to be there.

Interesting - can anyone attempt to define this "thing" try to put it into words?.

Especially this I know he and suppose she wars "right".

Was it, is it simply looks or is there something else at work here?.

Crowdo Sun 24-Sep-17 14:41:18

Lots of people settle, but it doesn't mean you should.

gamerchick Sun 24-Sep-17 14:51:48

Well I've been with husband for 8 years and still get butterflies when he's due home.

Why would you want to be with a guy who doesn't make you laugh? You're definitely settling OP. Time to free that space for someone who doesn't annoy you maybe.

Justaboy Sun 24-Sep-17 14:55:06

OK Gamerchick can you explain why this is at all?.

PollytheDoily Sun 24-Sep-17 15:01:01

LTB

Dappledsunlight Sun 24-Sep-17 16:30:14

He's not right for you. It's clear from everything you say. Don't settle. Find someone who rings all your bells!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: