Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How often do you cry?

(85 Posts)
tadpole73 Fri 22-Sep-17 18:30:38

Just wondering how often women on here cry. Admittedly, going through trauma can cause constant sadness, but I’m intrigued to see what people write.

SportyBobster Fri 22-Sep-17 18:36:42

I last cried last month, but that was probably slightly irrational thinking back. Before that I genuinely can't remember, I'm not really a crier.

I'm single, if that makes a difference - 1 DC.

KityGlitr Fri 22-Sep-17 18:38:03

Last week during a massive argument. Couldn't help it. Before that a few weeks. Before that a week (have had depression recently). But before the depression, I go months. Takes a lot to cry for me.

beesandknees Fri 22-Sep-17 18:38:35

When I'm in the middle of something traumatic (sadly I've had a lot of that in my life) it's most days. 6 out of 7 for sure. Often 2-3 times in a day if things are really bad.

Beyond that, if I'm not in the midst of a difficult time, I can be moved to brief tears probably every few weeks - generally when watching / listening to something emotional in the media, or commiserating with a friend (I tend to cry in sympathy with others).

But in terms of what I'd call "a good cry", lasting more than a minute or two, the kind of crying where it's difficult to stop until it comes to its natural end - usually in the bath, after feeling very pent up and generally premenstrual - probably not more than 2-3 times a year.

dudsville Fri 22-Sep-17 18:52:33

Most days of the week probably. I'm easily moved. I watched a programme about the end of the cassini space mission and shed a tear!

Crowdo Fri 22-Sep-17 18:54:09

Several times a day at the moment.

Troika Fri 22-Sep-17 18:58:47

Never. Even when incredibly upset. I well up, I get choked up, I might have a sob slip out, but a good proper cry, never. I wish I could.

DamsonGin Fri 22-Sep-17 19:00:21

Close to it now so heading out for wine and chocolate. So to answer, too often.

overmydeadbody Fri 22-Sep-17 19:02:02

I can't remember. A few months ago probably.

NC4now Fri 22-Sep-17 19:02:52

Depending what's going on between daily, weekly and monthly.
I haven't cried today for the first time this week.

RoxanneMonke Fri 22-Sep-17 19:04:06

Very rarely, and always over something stupid.

GotToGetMyFingerOut Fri 22-Sep-17 19:04:08

I sometimes cry at films or programmes if they are sad. So including that a couple of times id say maybe about five times max a year if that. I cried a couple of weeks ago because I felt so ill. That's really unusual.

Seeyamonday Fri 22-Sep-17 19:04:17

Not often, last time I had a real breaking heart, end of the world howl was when my dad died 18 Years ago.

OhWifey Fri 22-Sep-17 19:04:23

All the time. Every emotion results in crying. Wish I could control it more-I'd love to get properly angry without crying for once!

ifeeltheneedtheneedforspeed Fri 22-Sep-17 19:04:25

Pretty much every other day. I'm quite emotional. Wish I was a bit tougher.

Mycarsmellsoflavender Fri 22-Sep-17 19:08:37

Last time I cried was 2013 when I had a miscarriage. So hardly ever.

Joinourclub Fri 22-Sep-17 19:09:09

Not often. I do shed a tear when I see something emotional on tv, but not often in my own life. Last time was when I watched a programme a few weeks ago on young artists. One spoke of her hopes for the future. Then at the end it reported that she had died in Grenfell. But for something in my own life probably over 2 years ago when I had a particularly bad day at work.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 22-Sep-17 19:10:54

A handful of times a year. I cry when I'm angry, which annoys me because it makes me look silly.

Babyblues14 Fri 22-Sep-17 19:11:05

Quite a lot these days but I put it down to my pregnancy and now babyblues. Before that probably about once a fortnight when I was frustrated or had an argument with dh

Phosphorus Fri 22-Sep-17 19:14:30

Never.

It's not something I've ever done really.

Bearberry Fri 22-Sep-17 19:16:00

All the time, I'm ridiculously emotional. I'd say in average at least a couple of times a week, more frequently during bad patches. I can quite easily cry at the news, or just when driving and thinking about life or a loss. I wish I wasn't so emotional, it's one trait I hope I don't pass on to my daughter. I feel like I get more emotionally effected by things than others, although of course it's a totally subjective observation. I also cry when I'm angry blush

Getoffthetableplease Fri 22-Sep-17 19:19:24

A few times a month, often more sad

Tequilamockinbird Fri 22-Sep-17 19:19:33

Never. I can't even remember the last time I cried.

I don't even cry at funerals.

DH says I'm a witch hmm

ScarletForYa Fri 22-Sep-17 19:21:15

Almost never.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Fri 22-Sep-17 19:23:02

But how do you define crying? If you mean an involuntary tear, then once every few weeks. If you mean grimacing and noises, then maybe two or three times in my life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now