Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

If you're divorced or separated...

(75 Posts)
Annabelle4 Wed 16-Aug-17 16:56:00

Can I ask a very personal question?

Did you have doubts before you got married, but married him anyway?

Lunettesloupes Wed 16-Aug-17 16:59:53

Yes I did but we already had couple of kids and I thought 'what the hell'? Having said that I'm guessing most people have some pre-wedding doubts

hellsbellsmelons Wed 16-Aug-17 17:00:34

I had no doubts at all.
We had a good 15 years together but wandering dick got the better of him.

With my recent ExP there was no way on this planet I would ever have married him. And yeah, he's a total slimeball and we are over too.

I did have doubts in my 20's when I'd already booked a wedding.
I did call it off but only because I knew didn't love him.
It would have ended in divorce and I knew I had to do what I did.
I was NOT popular but everyone got over it.

Justmuddlingalong Wed 16-Aug-17 17:01:59

Yes.

MollyWantsACracker Wed 16-Aug-17 17:03:03

Yes.

TheDogsMother Wed 16-Aug-17 17:12:15

Yes I did. Having said that it was a fairly long and reasonably good marriage that eventually ran it's course. Looking back we were pulling each other in the opposite direction the whole time and are probably both in a far better situation now.

Dracarys17 Wed 16-Aug-17 17:17:22

Yup! But thought that it would get better because we loved each other.

Also thought that I deserved it (physical/emotional abuse) because of my choices. It wasn't that bad at the beginning and he'd had me convinced that I was overreacting. It didn't take much to convince me to be honest because I didn't want to fight back/walk away (even though everything inside me was saying to go) and the 'nice' part of him was there enough for me to 'forget' the other stuff.

GoldenOrb Wed 16-Aug-17 17:18:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ferriswheel Wed 16-Aug-17 17:18:22

No. Most absolutely and definitely not.

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 16-Aug-17 17:20:06

I nearly called off the wedding the day before I was due to walk down the aisle and I really wish I had had the strength to do it.
We'd been together for three volatile years and the marriage lasted two completely shitty years.

It was dead the water one month after the event.

RatherBeRiding Wed 16-Aug-17 17:20:12

No. But I should have had. Looking back with the hindsight of maturity it was a horrendous mis-match. But I was young and stupid.

dimots Wed 16-Aug-17 17:21:21

No. But I think he did.

Offred Wed 16-Aug-17 17:23:49

No, I didn't.

We married because he was a high tax payer and I was a LP on benefits and I wasn't prepared to live with him as a dependent without being married.

He turned out to be secretive, non-communicative and PA so the relationship ended but we're still married and no plans for imminent divorce as we have twins who are 8 together.

I went into the marriage feeling it was an agreement to share children and finances, so no real regrets there as he is at least good at that. I just lost respect for him as a partner and the love followed shortly after.

Soci Wed 16-Aug-17 17:24:55

Yes. And I'm fairly sure he did too. And we still do, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, at least you're not blindly walking into anything. But if you feel you're knowingly ignoring serious warning signs, that's a different matter.

Happiness101 Wed 16-Aug-17 17:26:12

Yes huge and my wedding day was one of the worst days of my life but everyone had been so excited for me when he proposed that I ended up going through with it despite my misgivings.

LegoStarWars Wed 16-Aug-17 17:26:33

No, none. We were young and ridiculously happy and in love. Which lasted for quite a long time before things fell apart.

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 16-Aug-17 17:27:31

What the "killer" thing was for me was that I thought that the security of marriage might give my now XH a bit more structure and stop him being such a neurotic bellend.

Nope.

If you are having doubts OP then you need to assess just how deep they run and how fatal they could be if not addressed.

coffeecuppa Wed 16-Aug-17 17:29:30

Yes. I knew it was a stupid thing to do even on the day of the wedding but I felt that a) I'd gone too far to back out now and b) I didn't think I deserved better.

Huge massive gigantic mistake that has cost me £50k. I do have a child from it though so that's a positive.

OzzyOsbourne Wed 16-Aug-17 17:39:36

Yes. I don't think I was ever in love with him but he was safe and I trusted him. I shouldn't have married him.

rightknockered Wed 16-Aug-17 17:40:07

Yes, but only with hindsight. At the time I was just not in a good place and just really felt that I had no right to better treatment. I'd never put up with crap like that now.

HipsterAssassin Wed 16-Aug-17 17:42:21

Nope. But I was much younger/naive/ immature and was infatuated - a whirlwind romance. Had only been together 6 months - haha! Cringe at that now.

You live 'n learn.... smile

TickledOnion Wed 16-Aug-17 17:54:55

No, no doubts whatsoever. I was very happy in our relationship for 13 years up until the day he told me he no longer loved me.

Neverwantedthis Wed 16-Aug-17 18:07:53

Nope, like tickled no doubts and happy in our relationship for 21 years up until he recently told me he now didn't feel the same and left me with 3 young children angry

Lovemusic33 Wed 16-Aug-17 18:12:54

I had doubts, I kind of hoped someone would stand up and stop the wedding. I shouldn't have gone ahead with it. We stayed together for ten years but the last 5 years were spent just living together ( for the kids ).

MoreProseccoNow Wed 16-Aug-17 19:16:29

At the time no: we'd been together 7 years, lived together for 3 years, had done long-distance etc etc.

But with the benefit of hindsight, I was spectacularly immature- he was my 1st relationship & we'd been together since late teens. It lasted 3 years, during which time I grew up & outgrew him (he turned in to a twat 6 months after we married).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: