Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

New partners being critical of your children and how you raise them. Is this a recognised thing ?

(4 Posts)
Luncharmstrong Sat 08-Jul-17 19:36:40

I've seen threads here where `OP describes the scenario where a partner moves in and is critical of the parenting skills of the parent , their partner.

My partner of a few years tried this a bit at the start. I tried to placate him and be the peacemaker and became a bit stricter with my teenage children . No bad thing really - they now always clean up after meals etc and keep their rooms decent which I didn't insist on prior to DP.

But he still would try to criticise my children for being lazy and suchlike. Saying I was too soft on them etc.

I woke up to this and stood up to him and told him not to ever criticise my children and things are better now.

So is this a common situation?

WinchestersInATardis Sat 08-Jul-17 20:55:51

No idea if it's common but any new DP would get his marching orders if he tried that with me tbh.

FelixtheMouse Sat 08-Jul-17 21:10:10

Yes, it's common where the new DP is a prat but not otherwise.

Joysmum Sat 08-Jul-17 21:21:34

It's got to be difficult for a new partner moving in with a family.

They are damned if they do try to parent (which they should be able to have a say on in their own home), damned if they don't.

Doesn't excuses them being a dick though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now