Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you know a 'tightarse'

(21 Posts)
Aminuts23 Thu 29-Jun-17 19:36:20

This is a bit of a whinge thread. It's about an ex of mine. Things are cropping up on threads that remind me of this. I just wanted to see what you lovely people thought and what similar stories you had.

My ex was absolutely tight with money. Never ever went to the bar. Prior to a night out I'd give him money to 'look after' for me to make him look less miserly when he got his wallet out. Stood away from the till in the supermarket to avoid paying (after he'd filled the trolley). Would only go out for a meal if we had a voucher.

Not long before we split I'd paid thousands for a dream holiday. I'd booked it months before which was the only reason we were still together by then. His mum gave him a very large cheque for us to spend on holiday. I knew (KNEW) he'd just bank it. He did of course as he had bills to pay and he was 'skint', he wasn't at all. Never used a penny of it. We had no nice meals away, just fast food and snacks in the hotel room. Just crap.

He made us get a mortgage which was more a month than I was comfortable paying so 1st month he can't contribute because he's 'skint'. Later saw he had several thousand in his savings.

Isn't tight fistedness just the most unattractive quality. I'm not wealthy by any means but I pay my way and if I can't afford something I don't do it. What a miserable skinflint he was hmm

dancingqueen345 Thu 29-Jun-17 19:39:40

Not a nice quality in anyone, be that partner, friend or family!

Ellisandra Thu 29-Jun-17 19:42:42

Glad to hear he's an ex.
How did he make you get a mortgage?

I think there's a difference between tight fisted and deliberately setting out to fleece your girlfriend!

Neither would suit me, but bloody hell it takes it to another level to actually scam money from you angry

Aminuts23 Thu 29-Jun-17 19:55:08

We were getting a joint mortgage. He wanted it over a shorter time to save money hmm. I was concerned the monthly repayment was too much. He pestered so I relented. He then had no money when the first payment was due. Despite having thousands squirrelled away. Absolutely skinted me at the time. Bastard

Asparaguswee Thu 29-Jun-17 19:57:55

Well it sounds like you knew what he was like? But you STILL got a mortgage with him?! Nobody can force you to get a mortgage, you knew it was too much and that he wouldn't cough up, you should have stood up for yourself.

Sunbeam18 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:00:24

The thread isn't about the mortgage - its about the guy being a tightarse!

isitjustme2017 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:03:32

Glad he's an ex, I hate people like this. My ex was tight but this is on another level altogether. Highly unattractive.

Aminuts23 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:04:17

Yes Asparaguswee it is. I'm not saying I've been ripped off. I'm whinging about the tightest man on gods earth. That was just one example

alpacasandwich Thu 29-Jun-17 20:10:44

I was seeing a man last year.

He bought me flowers once.. well. We were in Co-Op and he saw a wilted bunch going for 99p. So he bought them, and told me I could take half of them home as a treat from him. He kept the other half in his house.

His kitchen cupboard was full of tea bags and salt/pepper sachets he'd taken from the self-service bit at university.

Invited me to the cinema because he had 2-for-1 on movies, then asked for half the price of the ticket (which was a couple of quid). I'd paid for something for us both previously.

He printed out a leaflet that he left in churches and community centres around our city, asking for someone to let him live in a caravan on their land for free. He included a passage from the Bible about the good samaritan and tried to use the fact he's a medical student as a reason why they should "do a good deed".

Weirdly he had loads of money to spend on his motorbikes and holidays...

Bluebelle38 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:11:36

It's a horrible trait. I once bought a ex of mine a camera for his birthday. He picked it so knew the price, which was £150. My birthday was a few days later and I wanted a small sound system with CD player (this was 2005). He took me into an electronic shop and told me I could choose between several - all no more than £150. God, I can't believe I didn't dump him then and there. Another time I said we should go out for dinner as we hadn't been in ages. He said he was broke. I said I'd pay..... He ordered the steak, the most expensive thing on the menu without blinking an eye. I wasn't on money.

So well rid. smile

Bluebelle38 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:12:44

Wasn't on good* money; he earned much more!

Aminuts23 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:17:51

Alpaca haha, half a bunch of 99p flowers! That's tragic grin

alpacasandwich Thu 29-Jun-17 20:19:23

He was a treat grin

Your one sounds like a total user and a cunt, btw.

Ellisandra Thu 29-Jun-17 20:19:44

Not seeing the issue with budgeting the same for a birthday present - even with different incomes. In fact, when I've been the lower earner I've been more comfortable not receiving gifts that I can't match financially.

But I'm sure you have lots of other examples where he was awful!

Fluffypinkpyjamas Thu 29-Jun-17 20:20:39

Went out with one many many years ago. He was painfully tight. The last straw was when he ''couldn't afford'' a Christmas present for me or any of his family so I bought some little gifts for them as he was ''so skint babe'' then he gets this all singing all dancing music system which his mother had bought him...or so he claimed. Turns out he had bought it for himself AND told his Mother that it was ME that bought if for him so he got it in the ear from both of us , he was then dumped.grin

Aminuts23 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:21:02

Alapaca he sure was. I'm well rid and so are you

Bluebelle38 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:22:54

Ellusandra, there are loads more. It was the fact that he wouldn't want to be down a pound. We had not agreed to a budget for the gift. I got him the camera he wanted. I didn't limit his choice.

thisismadness77 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:23:31

I went on a date with a guy I'd fancied through school. He was by then a NQ police officer, I was an a level student. We went to a pub he bought us a drink. He had Coke, I asked for an orange and lemonade. We only had one as neither of us was drinking that night. He queried the price of the orange and lemonade with the barman. Half an hour later, we are chatting and another staff member walked past and took our empty glasses. He interrupted me mid sentence to say to him "scuse me mate, how much would YOU say an orange and lemonade should be?"
First and last date.

scaryclown Thu 29-Jun-17 20:27:08

Wait until he tells you you are bad with money because he has loads of 💷 in the back

HopefullyDothButterNoParsnips Thu 29-Jun-17 20:34:11

😂😂 at half a wilted 99p bunch of flowers! That's brilliant!

ImpetuousBride Thu 29-Jun-17 20:34:28

Asparagus, being judgmental much? Whether or not the OP has known the true nature if her ex at the time is irrelevant - when you're in a relationship you're often prone to miss the biggest redflags.

I did have a tight ex too - he was making at least twice the amount I was, his house a year away from being completely paid off, never married, no kids to support. Always made a big deal of taking me out, expected me to pay for something (there was never a "full" treat from him), bought me Xmas gifts at half price, etc. When I was looking for a secong hand Nintendo Wii for DC, he offered to give me his old one (he also had a brand new one for himself). He actually charged me for it!!! insisting that he was giving me "the best deal" I could find. That was when he reached the height of a***holeness, soon after became an ex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now