Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Men: y u do dis?

(51 Posts)
Thiswillbemyusername Tue 20-Jun-17 00:30:20

I have a question regarding men. Should probably ask a men's website but I don't know any so that's why I'm asking here because I asked Google and that gave me no answers.

Why do men mention how hot their mates girlfriends are? I've just had a second date with a guy and he said that his mate was punching above his weight, and he had this look in his eye which was like 'ive thought about doing her'. This has happened before with another date I've been on with a completely different guy

What I want to know is why the hell are they telling me this? I don't want to know how hot they find someone else. Why tell me? Is it disrespectful or sheer stupidness? Any help appreciated thank you

P.S sorry about the thread title Grammar Nazis I saw a meme once with it spelt like that and I dunno I just like it

Thiswillbemyusername Tue 20-Jun-17 00:32:23

Here is a cat who expresses it better than myself

JustHereForThePooStories Tue 20-Jun-17 00:32:49

I've never encountered this.

Where are you meeting these losers?

Thiswillbemyusername Tue 20-Jun-17 00:33:54

First guy was on match. Second guy was from school he's just left

BloodWorries Tue 20-Jun-17 00:34:49

My DP has never done this. One of his many great qualities that should be the norm (IMO) but don't seem to be (IME).

I find it completely disrespectful. All I could suggest it doing it in response to him to see how he take it, 'yeah, I know what you mean, this lass at work is alright, but the guy she's with... I'd like to climb that!' or something, before starting of into space for a good 10 minutes. Of course in my head, this is funny because after he's said it to begin with I'd not want another date.

Patriciathestripper1 Tue 20-Jun-17 00:34:55

Some men are just pathetic

ShoutOutToMyEx Tue 20-Jun-17 00:39:42

Do you not call it out? Put them on the spot. Something like 'why are you on a date with me if you fancy your mate's girlfriend?'. They obviously have no problem making you feel uncomfortable, you shoud give them a taste of their own medicine.

Thiswillbemyusername Tue 20-Jun-17 00:42:05

I'm not good at standing up for myself when put on the spot. I just changed the way I was sitting and let it go for a bit but it's bugged me

LurkerMortificado Tue 20-Jun-17 00:44:31

I'm going to go against the grain and say it doesn't bother me, I've had lengthy discussions with guys about what women we do or do not feel are good looking. Friends, boyfriends, you name it. I always thought it meant they were comfortable enough round me to be honest because to be fair, if they were planning on cheating they aren't going to tell me about the "fit bird" they are going to do it with first. Besides most girls when they get together chat about what guys/celebs they find attractive, I struggle to see a difference.

computerscream Tue 20-Jun-17 00:55:49

A look in his eye? You're presuming

My brother has been known to says he's 'punching' with his girlfriend - i.e. She's amazing/gorgeous , what is she doing with me. Pretty sure he's said it about a mates girlfriend or two too - 'he's punching' - ie his girlfriend is a corker (in terms of attractiveness but more so personality)

My brother is in no way a dick. That's just the 'bantz' him and his mates have

Benefit of the doubt until date 3 for me grin

CookieMonster54 Tue 20-Jun-17 00:58:06

Have to say, as a man, that while we certainly do think this a lot, only the very dumbest amongst us would say it on a second date. Sounds like you've gotten a chap with no basic sense, god love him.

I will say though that I suspect this is not a "male" thing so much as a human thing. Y'all honestly going to tell me that if your friend introduces you to her new bloke, you're not going to cast your eye over him and see whether there's any basis for jealousy? Of course you are. It's just that women have enough emotional intelligence not to turn to their significant other and say "let me tell you, Sarah's new guy is a bit of all right".

In this case, you've found somebody who just lacks brains. One hopes he can make up for it elsewhere, but I personally place a premium on brains and would thus be concerned.

whattodowiththepoo Tue 20-Jun-17 01:01:14

If I said a friend was punching above his weight I probably wouldn't be talking about looks.

zzzzz Tue 20-Jun-17 01:21:35

Never been said to me.

HarmlessChap Tue 20-Jun-17 01:57:36

Said it to a guy recently. He's a wanker to his GF, she should get some self respect and bin him but instead just gets upset and blames herself for his abusive behaviour.

It doesn't mean I fancy her just that I think he should realise how blessed he is to be in a relationship with her.

TheNaze73 Tue 20-Jun-17 07:32:28

He's an idiot for saying anything. Of course he's thinking it & probably mentally fucked her as well but, I can't believe he told you? Schoolboy error

PotteringAlong Tue 20-Jun-17 07:39:47

I've commented on the attractiveness or otherwise of my friend's boyfriends / husbands to my DH. It means nothing.

Thiswillbemyusername Tue 20-Jun-17 07:43:31

Thanks for your opinions on this! I'll give him benefit of the doubt on this one

HeavenlyEyes Tue 20-Jun-17 08:02:52

Why give a twat like this the benefit of the doubt?. You say you are no good at standing up for yourself. So be single, get counselling, work on you self esteem. Anything but dating losers like this! You are just inviting unhappiness and more insecurity into your life if you continue with men like this.

computerscream Tue 20-Jun-17 08:17:02

Only only on mumsnet can a man commenting on someone's gf being nice/attractive result in the OP needing counselling 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

(I have counselling and it's great but ffs)

Good luck op

Thiswillbemyusername Tue 20-Jun-17 09:30:45

I've been single for 3 years and I've had counseling before. If I have any problems they aren't going to go away with being single for more years and more counseling. I'll be alone forever at that rate!

anchor9 Tue 20-Jun-17 09:33:51

i've had this and i do wonder quite what they are hoping to achieve or whether they are just tact/filterless. who knows. it's not really an issue. if he's an idiot (possible) you will hopefully know for sure sooner rather than later.

Chloe84 Tue 20-Jun-17 09:44:13

My brother has been known to says he's 'punching' with his girlfriend - i.e. She's amazing/gorgeous , what is she doing with me. Pretty sure he's said it about a mates girlfriend or two too - 'he's punching' - ie his girlfriend is a corker (in terms of attractiveness but more so personality)

I don't think some posters get it. It's one thing telling your bro he is punching above his weight, or telling your DH his friend is 'punching'.

It's a completely different thing telling your date that his friend's gf is hot and that the friend is punching above his weight.

OP, I wouldn't give him the benefit of doubt. As Cookie says, inly someone dumb would do this. Or someone trying to 'neg' you.

Emboo19 Tue 20-Jun-17 09:55:07

I don't think it's disrespectful Op.
I think most guys say it in a dig against their mates, in a jokey way. My bf's mates say it to him, and if we have pics together on insta some of the comments would be read as really rude. They call it banter.

I think saying it on a date is a bit hmm depends how it came about, were you talking about his mates? Did you ask what the girlfriend was like?
I'm sure my bf would have said it before now, but can't remember specifically, I've certainly said it about his mates.

Thiswillbemyusername Tue 20-Jun-17 10:11:22

We were talking about his mates I can't remember why and he said this certain mate was punching above his weight and I was thinking just why tell me that? Surely that's a comment he should make to his mates not me. I didn't ask anything about her I just left it at that and he seemed oblivious to the fact he'd said something stupid.

CryptoFascist Tue 20-Jun-17 10:16:21

perhaps Cookiemonster can shed light on this - every man I've ever had a relationship with has made a point of doing this very early on in the relationship, letting me know the other people he finds attractive. And I have been out with some very intelligent people (academically speaking, possibly lacking soft skills though). Same as the OP only this has been every single relationship. What's this about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now